SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

Bikes - Talk & Issues Newsworthy and topical general biking and bike related issues. No crapola!
Need Help: Try Searching before posting

Old 09-07-07, 09:58 AM   #1
plowsie

Default Chicken Strips

Not my aim to get rid of them but i was having a gander at them on mine yesterday lunchtime. I have none on the front but about 15 mm on the rear, my grandad reckons it is to do with countersteering. Could it be anything to do with this or could it be suspension set up? Not too bothered about them really, well i suppose a bit, because i may be using all the front end and not the rear.

Stu
Old 09-07-07, 10:10 AM   #2
Beenz

Default Re: Chicken Strips

If the front was used with a previous rear tyre it could have been scrubbed to the edge with that. If both tyres were fitted at the same time I would be a tad concerned about running off the edge of the front.
Old 09-07-07, 10:20 AM   #3
Tempest

I would check your tyre pressures. It's easier to hit the edge of an under inflated tyre. I've seen this plenty of times on the rear but never on the front. You could be the first.

You would have to be a serious hero to get it scrubbed on the front and not the back. Actually I’m not even sure if that’s possible. I suppose it is but we are talking super hero here and going round corners speedway style. I assume you have standard size tyres front and rear.

T
Old 09-07-07, 10:20 AM   #4
plowsie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beenz View Post
I would be a tad concerned about running off the edge of the front.
This is the whole point of me starting this thread i am concerned for that, couldn't put it in words when i started the thread

There are roughly 1000 miles on the rear, possibly 2k on the front, surely this would be enough to "set out" the strips.
Old 09-07-07, 10:25 AM   #5
MiniMatt

Both the same tyre model right?

+1 to what Beenz said.

Countersteering makes my brain hurt (I actively use it all the time, it's just the physics of it that hurts my head). So I have likely got this completely wrong, but I think that countersteering only acts to tip the bike in, but to actually complete the turn the front wheel has to point in the direction of the turn. So you turn right, the bike tips left and then somehow (magic, or pixies or something) the wheel ends up pointing left and you turn left. So I'm not 100% sure that countersteering would cause a difference. Although the front wheel is going to be at a different angle to the rear whatever direction it ends up facing so there could be something?

Take that last paragraph with a truck load of salt. Make that two truck loads.
Old 09-07-07, 10:25 AM   #6
plowsie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tempest View Post
I would check your tyre pressures. It's easier to hit the edge of an under inflated tyre. I've seen this plenty of times on the rear but never on the front. You could be the first.

Just had a full service on it so can't be that cos they were done.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tempest View Post
You would have to be a serious hero to get it scrubbed on the front and not the back. Actually I’m not even sure if that’s possible. I suppose it is but we are talking super hero here and going round corners speedway style. I assume you have standard size tyres front and rear.
Ma momma always told me i was speshal Yes they are BT020s, i'm thinking suspension here though.
Old 09-07-07, 10:39 AM   #7
MiniMatt

Quote:
Originally Posted by plowsie View Post
There are roughly 1000 miles on the rear, possibly 2k on the front, surely this would be enough to "set out" the strips.
The last few weeks/months it has been a little bit on the damp side shall we say, perhaps that difference is enough given you're unlikely to be pushing it whilst underwater?

It would be easy if the front tyre was the same size as the back to work out but try as I might I just can't figure out any possible leaning scenario where a narrower front tyre would wear in places the corresponding fatter rear wouldn't. Your mommy was right, you are indeed, a very special boy
Old 09-07-07, 10:46 AM   #8
Tempest

Quote:
Originally Posted by plowsie View Post
Just had a full service on it so can't be that cos they were done.
Even more reason to check them. Like others have said, I can't see any reason for this. Perhaps the resident oracles can comment.

T
Old 09-07-07, 10:54 AM   #9
markmoto

as already said its very unusual to go right to the egde of the front tyre but not the back! no too sure what could be causing that. On the issue of counter steering you do counter steer through the whole corner and not just to tip it in check it out next time you find a nice dry roundabout.
Old 09-07-07, 11:03 AM   #10
Steve_God
Mega Poster

1) Counter-steering does only help to tip in, however once you're tipped, you don't actually steer into the direction of the corner... it's the fact you're running on the edge of the tyre (plus centrifugal forces) that makes you go around the corner.

2) After a track-day, I had well and truly gone to the VERY edge of my front tyre (slightly over at some points me thinks!), yet still had a small used strip (only several mm) on the rear. So it's fairly normal as far as I'm aware, but I could be wrong! And that was with getting the pegs / knees down, etc...
Note: Both tyres were but on at the same time, same make, etc...
SV650s; K6; Metallic Euclase Silver; Fully Faired; Renegade Twin Exhaust Full System (Stubbied); Full ECU Remap; Fabri Tinted DB Screen; Hamicad Fender Eliminater; Bagster Seat/Suzuki Gel Seat; Fenda Extenda; HEL Braided Brake Hoses; R&G Crash Bungs; GSXR Front-end, Triumph Daytona 675 Front Brake Master Cylinder; RedFox Rear Hugger; BMC F.1 Air Filter; Top Box!
Coastal Tours:Great Britain (for Cancer Research) - 3588.2 miles: Completed July 2007. Ireland - 1466 miles: Completed for July 2008
Steve_God is offline   Reply With Quote