SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

EuroTour An area to discuss potential European trips, and to ask advice about long distance touring.

Old 27-08-07, 11:43 PM   #1
Larry

Default My trip to France

Ok so this happened about a month ago, bit I've been either working or lazy since then! Here are some photos from my holiday in France nonetheless, I did about 1800 miles over the two weeks, using my dad's holiday house as a base. In France I covered a random mixture of roads and autoroutes from Dieppe to Saint Jean D'Angely (near Cognac) and pretty much every day we visited somewhere. Having never been on the road in another country, or done anywhere near the distance, I am very pleased with the SV, all I did the whole trip was adjust/lube the chain and stick more petrol in. Only complaints were from my girlfriend who reckoned after a couple of hours on the autoroute the pillion seat gets a bit uncomfortable.

So, in no particular order....

For those who don't know a lot of French, the sign here means "all you need" so the inevitable photo opportunity...

Obviously there are more photos, these are just a random selection from the camera. Thanks to all the people from this forum who gave me some tips and told me what to expect, in particular the fact that petrol stations seem to be hidden became apparent when I had to keep asking where the nearest bloody fuel was! Very very nearly ran dry coming home near Blois, just couldn't find anywhere!

Last edited by Larry; 29-08-07 at 12:18 AM. Reason: photo blunders
Old 28-08-07, 09:12 AM   #2
Luckypants
Mega Poster

Default Re: My trip to France

Sorry mate, photos dont work. Some of the URLs are messed up and if I use those manually, I get a 'not authorised' message
Snow Plough Appreciation Society - Member #3

Luckypants is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-08-07, 04:10 PM   #3
dizzyblonde
Da Cake Boss
Mega Poster

St jean D'Andgely has its own kebab shop. Don't find many of them in France. Hoow do I know? I've just come back from there, a little village called Beaujouet, between Les Nouilliers and Tonnay Boutonne....small world innit

Hovis 13.8.75-3.10.09 Reeder 20.7.88-21.3.12
dizzyblonde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-08-07, 12:16 AM   #4
Larry

Thanks to some much-needed help the photos now work

I never saw the kebab shop there, the only one I found in France was in Dieppe, and it was just as bad as they are here! Tonnay Boutonne was really nice, stopped off there for a rest/walk along the river on the way back one day. When were you there? I was around 9th to 20th of July.
Old 29-08-07, 11:55 PM   #5
dizzyblonde
Da Cake Boss
Mega Poster

I was there btween 12 and 21 aug, just getting round to sorting pics out( to which I have a picture of said kebab shop.....really I have) I am now a residnt of the voyagers blues caf/bar and was even turfed out by the gendarmes at 2am( more innocent than you think) My best mate lives there and it really is my second home.. I feel even better now I have visited her on the bike rather than the plane. Its more of an effort to ride all that way...cause it is a hell of a long way when you've never done it before

Hovis 13.8.75-3.10.09 Reeder 20.7.88-21.3.12
dizzyblonde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-08-07, 12:11 AM   #6
Larry

Look forward to seeing the photos then, I was only stopped once while I was there, the gendarmes were pretty friendly though compared with English coppers! This is the second time I've been there but the first was in my dad's car, and yea it seemed to take forever on the bike. My main haunt was the Auberge in Villneuve la Cometesse (if that's how they spell it), they even have Guinness
Old 30-08-07, 08:23 AM   #7
Luckypants
Mega Poster

Top piccies Larry!
Snow Plough Appreciation Society - Member #3

Luckypants is offline   Reply With Quote