SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

SV Talk, Tuning & Tweaking Discussion and chat on all topics and technical stuff related to the SV650 and SV1000
Need Help: Try Searching before posting

Old 23-10-07, 08:56 AM   #1
plowsie

Talking Tyre Pressures

So what are we all running

Only kidding

Last night on way back from work and to the missus's i needed to be around and about hers within 20 mins as i leave work....Normally i could do it, aggressively filtering or not, cos there are a few decent bends that i can make up on than goin the traffic way. Goin through them and the bike tilted in and just wanted to drop dead or sit up(one way or the other), didn't want to go round smoothly like it used to before i had new tyres on. I'd been speaking to a few peoples during the day querying about pressures etc and then realised that i am not on an SV according to my tyres, i am riding a TLBanditSV650s

So once i left the missus's and went and checked them at the petrol station, remember i am 100+ kilos, the pressures were 31/34, explains a bit to me

So i went stupid and upped them straight away to 36/42, my my the difference - I CAN CORNER

Like Baph said to me the other day play around with them dont take a big jump but thought i'd take it easy then test. Very happy all in all with my little experiment.

Remember though kids, dont try this at home Do it in stages

Stu
Old 23-10-07, 09:19 AM   #2
Baph

Default Re: Tyre Pressures

Quote:
Originally Posted by plowsie View Post
Like Baph said to me the other day play around with them dont take a big jump...
Remember though kids, dont try this at home Do it in stages
Just thought I'd emphasise that bit.

From the pressures you were running at, even putting them back to 33/36 you'd of probably noticed the difference!!

Another reason why pressure checks should be done very often (and I admit, I have been very bad at checking pressures).

On this sort of subject, I followed a guy out of town yesterday one a little 125 (could of been a 250 at a push) scrambler. His rear was obviously flat, but he was riding very agressively (or rather trying to - the bike squirming everywhere). I let him go, but caught up with him naturally at the bridge. I figured he MUST know, but due to his riding, I'd tell him about his flat anyway. The response I got was "Yea, been like that for the last 10miles." Each to their own I suppose, but I just gave him a wide birth 'cos the way I saw it, he was coming off in the near future riding a flat like that.

Be careful with tyres folks. Please.
Old 23-10-07, 09:21 AM   #3
plowsie

Yer i'll be another to admit i rarely check them unless the bike doesnt feel good.
Old 23-10-07, 09:27 AM   #4
Luckypants
Mega Poster

Pre-flight (or daily checks) for me consist of oil level, brake / clutch fluid level anf tyre pressures.
Snow Plough Appreciation Society - Member #3

Luckypants is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-10-07, 09:47 AM   #5
Baph

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luckypants View Post
Pre-flight (or daily checks) for me consist of oil level, brake / clutch fluid level anf tyre pressures.
Same here now, but back when I was riding 500miles a week, I just used to hop on & ride. Checks were done more weekly than daily.
Old 23-10-07, 09:51 AM   #6
AlanB

My butt is the best pressure guage I've ever tried, as soon as the tyres drop a pound or two its pretty obvious. Mind you I don't trust it entirely and check them weekly anyway, just to be on the safe side.
Old 23-10-07, 04:44 PM   #7
Lissa
Just Ballast
Mega Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by plowsie View Post
Yer i'll be another to admit i rarely check them unless the bike doesnt feel good.

Before every ride, when they are cold.......................don't make me have to tell you again

I'd Rather Have Two Big Bangs Than Four Little Strokes
Lissa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-10-07, 04:48 PM   #8
kwak zzr

i dont want to talk about tyre pressures
Old 23-10-07, 04:57 PM   #9
BILLY

Just a note stu I ran them at 34/38 have you tried them at that?
Old 23-10-07, 05:01 PM   #10
Fearg

I have just replaced my 020's with Z6's today after 6000 miles the rear 020 was worn out. I was tempted by the PR2's but decided to give the Z6's a go as they are rated so highly on here. Riding 150 miles a day will probably give me the chance to try the PR2's soon enough.

Anyway, back on to topic, I had 36/42 in the 020's when I first got them and hated it so dropped back to 33/36 and it felt much better. However, as the tyres wore I upped the pressures again gradually to 36/42 and I have to say the last 1000/1500 miles the cornering felt the best it ever had, despite the rear squaring off. I don't know if that was down to pressure's, tyre wear or just tyre construction. So now I have the Z6's I am in a quandary on which pressures to use. I have gone for 33/36 again but may well change them if the handling doesn't feel right. I am under the impression that Bridgestone recommend 36/42 anyway and Metzler 33/36 due the tyre construction, but I know this debate has been covered many times.