SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

Idle Banter For non SV and non bike related chat (and the odd bit of humour - but if any post isn't suitable it'll get deleted real quick).
There's also a "U" rating so please respect this. Newbies can also say "hello" here too.

Old 25-10-07, 09:07 PM   #1
Law

Default Goodbye Martin Jol

He was a decent manager, I don't know why our defence is a leaky sieve this season.

Although I'm glad the awful handling of the situation by the Spurs board is over, he was going to go, it was just a matter of when.
Old 25-10-07, 09:16 PM   #2
Vfr400

Default Re: Goodbye Martin Jol

I feel sorry for Martin, undermined by the board and not by the fans. But for a dogdey meal would have earn't hero status by getting into the champions league and pushing Arsenal out at the same time.

Chris

Last edited by Vfr400; 25-10-07 at 09:19 PM.
Old 25-10-07, 09:41 PM   #3
the_runt69

Im not a football supporter of any sense but the way this has been handled by the directors of the club should leave them open to a case of constructive dismissal

He's done more for the club for any manager since the 60's
Old 26-10-07, 05:57 AM   #4
Lissa
Just Ballast
Mega Poster

Not a Spurs supporter, but watched their game against Getafe last night. I couldn't believe it when it was reported at half time that he had lost his job as manager. What lousy timing with the poor bloke still sat in the dug out.

I'd Rather Have Two Big Bangs Than Four Little Strokes
Lissa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-10-07, 07:43 AM   #5
Welsh_Wizard

terrible actions by the board..

hopefully he'll go somewhere where they appreciate him - he's a good manager.

Bet the Bolton board are kicking themselves mind, the day after Gary Megson is appointed (), one of the best managers in the premiership becomes available
Old 26-10-07, 07:56 AM   #6
Pedrosa

I agree that Martin Jol has been treated shockingly and most of it within the public domain.

Getafe normally play lovely football to watch, however this season since their talisman coach Bernd Schuster left for Real Madrid, the team has been in free fall and are 2 from the bottom of the Primera Liga. So not a good team to lose at home to presently.

Juan de Ramos is a fantastic coach and normally Spurs would have no chance of getting him. However following several years of unprecedented success Sevilla are not going well at all this season.

I do't think it is the coach or the players it is more the affect that Antonio Puerta's death has had on everyone. Juan de might feel he would like to now get away from the grief that prevails in the Sevilla dressing room.
Old 26-10-07, 09:58 AM   #7
timwilky
Mega Poster

May your leaky defence stay leaky till after sunday.
Old 26-10-07, 10:01 AM   #8
Keith1983

So let me get this right, he was sacked at half time?
Old 26-10-07, 10:14 AM   #9
Law

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keith1983 View Post
So let me get this right, he was sacked at half time?
No, The reports that I heard were that they had already agreed a severance package before the game and the rumours were circulating during the second half that he was going at the end of the game.

Someone from Spurs obviously leaked it to the press during the game which further undermined Jol. Jol just sat in the dugout for the game which was not normal for him.
Old 26-10-07, 10:17 AM   #10
Keith1983

Got to feel sorry for the fella. I think where they went wrong was giving him some money to spend. There seems to be a few managers which are great at getting the best out of an average team but aren't really sure what to do when they have a large amount to spend on players, I mean 17 million on Bent? Still as a Liverpool fan it seems we might not be long before Rafa is on his way after losing to the incredibly average Besiktas.