SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum (http://forums.sv650.org/index.php)
-   SV Talk, Tuning & Tweaking (http://forums.sv650.org/forumdisplay.php?f=111)
-   -   I've Killed Another One (http://forums.sv650.org/showthread.php?t=137248)

ThEGr33k 10-08-09 01:00 AM

Re: I've Killed Another One

Squirrel... :(

daved407 10-08-09 08:04 AM

Sorry to hear your woes. My opinion for what its worth, is you get someone else to do the work. If you cant top up oil I question your ability to take apart an engine. I am assuming your bike has remarkable fuel economy, in the 500 mile round trip you never once had to fill up at a fuel station or garage, where next to the sandwiches, sticky bars and magazines they sell Motul and Duckhams finest oils?

Gentle mickey taking aside I feel for you but I guess thats how mechanics make their money. You have looked at most the options, its a simple equation. You take engine apart spend lots of time and money on it or throw it to a dealer and change engine. Time over money, which do you have most of?

Alpinestarhero 10-08-09 08:47 AM

Shoulda paid attention to the thread I put up a while back in IB about the importance of oil in engines ;) this is very very naughty!

Sounds like the bearing surfaces etc are completly shot. Get a new engine installed, and this time, LOOK AFTER IT. When i do an oil change, I often have a litre or so of oil left over in the bottle - this is for topping up. If you know an engine uses oil, then keep an eye on it and top up as required. When my engine was leaking oil, I carried around 200 ml's with me, just incase I was caught a bit short.

Oil isnt just for lubrication; amongst that (very important) job, engine oil also helps keep an engine clean, and helps keep an engine cool, in addition to other jobs.. Remember also that your motorcycle engine oil must provide lubrication for the gear box and for the clutch.

Matt

yorkie_chris 10-08-09 06:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by squirrel_hunter (Post 1998962)
And 8k is where I live, well between that and the red line.

Yes, yes I am.

Knocking is 5K upward and power drops off around the 8K mark. What signs should I be looking for? I know the engines screwed but what exactly do you think has happened? Piston slap is presumed, based on a previous one but what does that entail in replacement parts?

Secondhand set of barrels and pistons plus head gaskets + base gaskets probably <£100 and don't need to drop the engine out of the frame.

yorkie_chris 10-08-09 07:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Alpinestarhero (Post 1999084)
Shoulda paid attention to the thread I put up a while back in IB about the importance of oil in engines ;) this is very very naughty!

F'in hell ASH.

You thought of being a primary school teacher? Sounds like you're telling little ralph to stop licking the glue-sticks.

thefallenangel 10-08-09 07:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by yorkie_chris (Post 1999898)
Secondhand set of barrels and pistons plus head gaskets + base gaskets probably <£100 and don't need to drop the engine out of the frame.

Can you pinch gaskets off another engine to save more money?

yorkie_chris 10-08-09 07:48 PM

Nah they're only meant to seal once AFAIK

dizzyblonde 10-08-09 08:33 PM

hey I LEARNT on the first blown engine to check the oil and fill it up!
I have to check one SV for losing it out of the clutch housing, and one for burning it.
I took half a litre of oil for the trip to the AR. I used most of it, and the rest went in on Thursday.

BUT FOUR and you haven't learnt???????????

squirrel_hunter 10-08-09 08:58 PM

Umm, I'm getting an idea...

If the barrels and pistons are gone then I have a plan. Hayabusa pistons anyone? Get the existing barrel bored out for them which will refreshen it and stick it all back together. So I'm looking at a rebore and gaskets, what do we reckon the rebore will cost?

I think I will take the engine out as its a small space to work in and not having taken one of these apart before I think I might as well.

But how can I be sure that its the top end thats damaged and not the bottom end?

Iansv II 10-08-09 09:12 PM

Blimey, my sv engine hardly drank any oil at all

I did blow up my 125 with oil starvation though, dealer took the engine apart to show me when he bought the rest for parts, was a tad messy