SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum (http://forums.sv650.org/index.php)
-   The Border Patrol (http://forums.sv650.org/forumdisplay.php?f=158)
-   -   New and Returning riders rideout meet up/general chit-chat (http://forums.sv650.org/showthread.php?t=104568)

Luckypants 18-02-08 09:02 AM

Re: New and Returning riders rideout meet up/general chit-chat

Quote:

Originally Posted by melody (Post 1420863)
When's the next one?

I need some fun time.

Rides will be more frequent as the weather improves.

markmoto 18-02-08 09:04 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by melody (Post 1420863)
When's the next one?

I need some fun time.

Oh mel get rready for the smutty remarks :p

Luckypants 18-02-08 09:27 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 5hort5 (Post 1420388)
Here's some pics from the day:

The start of the day at knutsford services and mike trying to suck it in :smt016

http://img266.imageshack.us/img266/5305/pict0002ap6.jpg

THAT IS SUCKED IN!!

http://img219.imageshack.us/img219/6272/pict0016os4.jpg

Good to see Ste (Slark) out again, hiding in the background there - we have missed you buddy!

Baph 18-02-08 09:34 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Luckypants (Post 1420931)
Anything you did / didn't like?

I didn't like the fact that I had to drop out of the ride :(

Instead, I had a new toilet cistern to fit, both sheds to empty and re-pack to create more space, and family around for the day. :(

Sort that out for next time please Mike ;)

stewie 18-02-08 12:17 PM

As the resident lightweight of the border patrol I just want to apologise for my non appearance on sunday, looks like I missed another good day day out and want to thank Mike for taking the time to organise it, I had me rucksack all packed on sat night and the bike fueled and cheked over and was really looking forward to it, anyway I hope to catch you all soon.

Pedro68 18-02-08 01:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Luckypants (Post 1420931)
A la Pete and Lissa's ride for the south midlands, lets have a bit of feedback.

How was the ride for length?
Just right :)

How did the marker system work for you?
I was left feeling that sometimes I simply wasn't sure whether I should mark a junction or not - and I missed one :rolleyes: but in my defence, I was a bit pre-occupied with the fact that my gear-change lever was flapping about a bit :oops:

How did you feel about riding in a group?
It was great :) helps cagers see you :) sometimes felt like I could have pushed on a bit, but wasn't too sure of "overtaking" etiquette, so just did it anyway on a few occasions :-P

Did you feel pressured to keep up and why? (no names, no pack drill)
No not at all ... well perhaps just trying to keep up with you Mike. But ALWAYS made sure I didn't push myself beyond my own ability :D

Didn't like: the cold, the price of motorway services coffee, that ice.
Liked: the pace, the company, the route (esp. the A54 was it?!)

All feedback welcome
Perhaps next time we go out, and since some people like to take photos, we could stop at some of the more scenic locations? I just felt that there were some absolutely fantastic views, but it's difficult to REALLY appreciate them when you're concentrating on ya riding ;-)

Cheers,
Pete

glsuk1970 18-02-08 06:55 PM

Just about right with the weather being like it was and broken brain (me!) only having a tinted visor and needing to be home before sunset. I haven't ridden around the Peak district before - some great roads, shame about all the 50mph limits though :(

No problem, being Tail-End-Charlie was fine, meant I had a valid excuse for riding slow.

I don't have much experience of riding in a group but I quite enjoy it, gives me a chance to observe the rest of the group and pick up some riding/positioning tips.

No, not at all. Like I said, I don't have much experience of riding within a group but once or twice I have been out with a few riders who think they're constantly on a qualifying lap, regardless of what's happening around them. Yesterday though, nobody shot off into the distance to leave the rest of us feeling like an inadequate burden and despite our different ranges of ability we all stuck together. Which was nice.

Liked: Meeting Speedy Claire and 5hort5 for the first time and catching up with the other usual suspects (Luckypants reminded me that the last ride-out I went on was May last year...May FFS!!), the roads and destination, the relaxed atmoshpere when riding and the pie, peas and gravy!

Disliked: The cold! I left the house just after 9am and headed straight up the A483 towards Chester. I'd been riding for about 20 minutes and thought "What the **** are you doing? Just turn around and go back to bed". After a few hand-warming stops and a few wrong turns I rolled into Knutsford about 10:15 for a much needed cup of over-priced, bland coffee.

All in all a great day, look forward to a good few more!

Cheers,

Gary (the drunk looking one!)

Girth 18-02-08 07:32 PM

How many turned up in the end?

Thought about coming along with you guys but had to get a few things done.

Whens it happening again?

Speedy Claire 18-02-08 07:54 PM

It was just right for the weather conditions. Choice of route was fantastic and I think worked well considering the location of all the riders.

Was great but on a couple of occasions wasn`t sure if I needed to stop or not cos tho i was second place and should`ve stopped I saw that everyone was behind me and had made the right turn so I just carried on. I know that Pedro has mentioned missing marking a junction but as far as i`m concerned we were mostly newcomers to group riding and it`ll improve with experience. Tho it was Me and Gary who carried on for a while and missed you all we maybe should`ve stopped earlier and checked our phones instead of me thinking that i`d see you all round the next bend but again.. its things like this that you learn thru experience and at least I had Gary with me as he was Tail End Charlie and because of the Tail End Charlie it meant that I wasn`t left alone in that situation.

Was great for my first attempt at group riding. I liked the way it was all organised so well and we all knew the rules etc. I think once or twice I possibly rode a bit to close to whoever was in front of me but the good thing was i realised i was doing it and backed off and will know not to do it next time out.

Not at all. I know it was a novice rideout but the pace for me was just right. I know that not all rideouts will be like that and there`ll be some experienced riders who`ll take off and ride faster but i think the organisation and the fact that I know that at a junction somebody will be there to show the way gives reassurance that I don`t need to ride beyond my ability to avoid getting lost.

Liked: the social aspect, meeting everyone... some for the first time and others to just say hi again. The organisation and the constant reassurance of having you all with me and the fact that i didn`t feel under pressure to ride fast. I felt reassured that if something had gone wrong (god forbid) I was in safe hands and with a good bunch of people who I trusted. Having taken the plunge, i`m now looking forward to many more rideouts

Disliked: Nothing, well apart from the cold but that was predictable for the time of year.

Speedy Claire 18-02-08 07:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by girth (Post 1421728)
How many turned up in the end?

Thought about coming along with you guys but had to get a few things done.

Whens it happening again?

There were 6 of us in the end, not sure bout the next one but look forward to it