SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum (http://forums.sv650.org/index.php)
-   2009 Annual Rideout (http://forums.sv650.org/forumdisplay.php?f=162)
-   -   AR09 Campsite Comments. (http://forums.sv650.org/showthread.php?t=136878)

SoulKiss 03-08-09 10:07 AM

AR09 Campsite Comments.

I had a chat with Jim @ the Pub where we had the AR.

He would like to increase the number of groups he has camping, so I said I would gather some feedback for him.

I have already told him a few points I have come up with, so please, without getting too chatty, can I have your opinions and thoughts on the CAMPSITE ONLY.

Thanks

David

dizzyblonde 03-08-09 10:14 AM

Re: AR09 Campsite Comments.

There could be a few more toilets, and the shower block modernising. Oh and a light to the entrance of the campsite, near the fire and maybe one or two further up. I'm blind as a bat in the dark...couldn't see a thing.

AND ANOTHER KEY for the shower!!!lol

But all things considered the folk who own it and work there are really very pleasant, and welcoming. Thats a large credit in itself :-)

BillyC 03-08-09 10:16 AM

Quite straight forward...

Considerably better toilet and washing facilities required - one bog between a field of blokes isn't enough, especially when the bog roll runs out.

Communal showers? Please... Individual shower cubicles please, this really doesn't have to be anything special.

Not sure what his normal per-person-per-night rate is... but unless the above is improved then the facilities simply don't match the size of the field.

Other than that... great :)

Raf 03-08-09 10:16 AM

Well, he could really do with a proper shower block, individual showers, and more than one toilet for the blokes.

dizzyblonde 03-08-09 10:22 AM

you only had to ask for bog paper. The ladies was always filled, but then I always asked!

Demonz 03-08-09 10:37 AM

All been said re showers. Only other thing I would recommend is a permenent shelter/gazebo with picnic tables and possibly coin operated gas bbqs. Big enough to cater for the space he has. Also include a sink to do dishes and get fresh water.

dizzyblonde 03-08-09 10:44 AM

A lot of campsites I've been to have a mini kitchen. That could be a good idea

ophic 03-08-09 10:49 AM

Yup agree with the comments about the toilets and showers. Otherwise though, the field was very well kept and the attitude of the landlord was extremely welcoming and accommodating. With a bit of investment it would be a really fantastic place to camp.

fizzwheel 03-08-09 10:49 AM

As the others have said he needs to have rethink on the toilet and shower situation.

If it were me I'd be building a seperate toilet block so that the campers dont have to go into his pub toilets and also replacing the communal shower setup he has there.

davepreston 03-08-09 11:01 AM

criple access could be improved a bit as it wasnt that easy for me ( the bar itself) eg its got the slope to get to the toilet but a step to get into the bar and a low ceiling warning sign is i was near knocked out first time i did go into the main door
also all the above comments

Warthog 03-08-09 11:33 AM

I think the main thing is that he is friendly and pretty relaxed, that's what made it a great site for me. Obviously the showers and toilets could have been better, but I am not a fussy person, so I was fine with it and thought that his attitude was what made it great. Being allowed a huge fire, no one minding too much if there was privately bought alcohol being mixed with pub alcohol in the garden, noisy bikes, things like that all could have turned a campsite owner against us but instead we were warmly embraced so I'd love you to pass on my thanks to Jim please David.

caz650s 03-08-09 11:39 AM

Proper Shower / Toilet block [ One toilet for the Men is not enough ! ]

Low level lighting bollards around the site

Washing up area

Permanant covered area for Peeps to gather in poor weather conditions

Coin operated / pay as you go Barbies that someone mentioned sound good

Great to find a Biker friendly site !!

These are only constructive ideas and in no way a moan :)

Dave20046 03-08-09 11:45 AM

We were discussing this, an average campsite (up north anyway) is about £4-£10 per pitch (not person) and the £10 ones usually have cracking facilities (+ usually somesort of tourist attraction near by). As has been said the price didn't match the facilities (unless we are missing something that was included - did it fund the bags and puks and slaves?). Showers and toilets need improving and they need more bogs.

Messie 03-08-09 11:52 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dave20046 (Post 1991671)
We were discussing this, an average campsite (up north anyway) is about £4-£10 per pitch (not person) and the £10 ones usually have cracking facilities (+ usually somesort of tourist attraction near by). As has been said the price didn't match the facilities (unless we are missing something that was included - did it fund the bags and puks and slaves?). Showers and toilets need improving and they need more bogs.

Fantastic! It's all done and dusted and still people moan. :rolleyes:

Dave20046 03-08-09 11:54 AM

I wasn't moaning at all, it was excellent - just I wouldn't have paid £20 per night for me and grace to sleep in the field if it wasn't full of orgers.

Messie 03-08-09 12:00 PM

Fair enough - but that wasn't what the OP was asking about, was it? The comments about the showers and toilets are perfectly valid and Jim the landlord is aware and, I believe, has plans underway to make improvements.

Maybe you need to start another thread, ready for AR10, asking how much people are prepared to pay to sleep in a field full of orgers?

SoulKiss 03-08-09 12:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Messie (Post 1991685)
Maybe you need to start another thread, ready for AR10, asking how much people are prepared to pay to sleep in a field full of orgers?

That would depend on how close to other Orgers, and do you get to pick who :)

Quiff Wichard 03-08-09 12:08 PM

I only paid the price as quoted as I wanted to attend the event in all honesty- not a complaint but if I had paid £40 for 2 nights anywhere else for just me n mand and the facilities were as they were I would have not stayed . but it was expected

* as above threads seperate loos, and showers of a superior standard reuired. lighting low level needed in field - water in the field at 3 or 4 places required . all expected for a premium rate site.

A central hard core /gravel path down the middle of the field for access and safe walking at night.

if I had pitched up on spec somewhere and they said this is it and its £8 per pitch I would have been ok with it ..

NB: comments posted as per OP Query and not as reflection on cost for AR etc etc that is a different thing , these I hope are constructive comments made by all so that the site can develope.

oh yea- a sign at the "nasty" blind bend saying. dont thrash it down the road cos the campsite is only 30 yards on the left .. as nearly all of us flew past it..

and Soul or Sally when you speak to Jimmy tell him thanks. all was good and the young lad who was behind bar was brill.. always chatty and upbeat from 8am till midnight.. even when having to clean the one loo cos of its over use he was smiling.

jambo 03-08-09 12:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dave20046 (Post 1991680)
I wasn't moaning at all, it was excellent - just I wouldn't have paid £20 per night for me and grace to sleep in the field if it wasn't full of orgers.

This may be well be valid, the OP was asking what could be changed to get more people camping there. I've no idea what the going rate is (and it'll almost certainly be different up north) but if the feeling is that he's charging at the high end of what people are prepared to pay then this may be costing him business.

I've nowt to add bar the above though, the feild was well kept the attitude was spot on, the wash / bathroom facilities are an obvious candidate for improvement if he's looking to have bigger goups staying more often ;)

The size of the field and the fact we weren't made to feel like we were a nucence was great though!

Jambo

maviczap 03-08-09 12:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Quiff Wichard (Post 1991696)
oh yea- a sign at the "nasty" blind bend saying. dont thrash it down the road cos the campsite is only 30 yards on the left .. as nearly all of us flew past it

+1 If you're going to attract the passing trade put a bloomin great sign up avertising what facilities you have.

Seemed to me that the pub was a secret place only known to the locals and those who'd found it on the net.

For a family freindly site it would need more than a trampoline. A slide, a swing & a few other playground bits and bobs.

Agree with all the comments about the showers and toilets, but the bar staff were great having to put up with all us lot :drunken:

Quiff Wichard 03-08-09 12:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jambo (Post 1991698)
This may be well be valid, the OP was asking what could be changed to get more people camping there. I've no idea what the going rate is (and it'll almost certainly be different up north) but if the feeling is that he's charging at the high end of what people are prepared to pay then this may be costing him business.

I've nowt to add bar the above though, the feild was well kept the attitude was spot on, the wash / bathroom facilities are an obvious candidate for improvement if he's looking to have bigger goups staying more often ;)

The size of the field and the fact we weren't made to feel like we were a nucence was great though!

Jambo

thats what I was tryin to say but jambo done it more eloquently. .

keith_d 03-08-09 12:45 PM

The field itself was good, mown to the right length and slightly sloping so we didn't have puddles everywhere when it rained. I'd be tempted to put some hardcore down at the entrance to the field where it's starting to get a bit muddy.

If there aren't any, I'd consider adding a couple of power points and hard standings for caravans in the other field. It'll probably mean hiring a mini-digger for a day and buying a drum of armoured cable but it's a big plus for the caravanners to be able to hook up.

The subject of toilets and showers has already been discussed at length.

A nice big sign at the junction with the B1018 might collect some passing trade, but Southminster and Burnham aren't going to generate an awful lot of traffic in the first place. So, I'd check whether there are tourist information offices in Burnham and Maldon and advertise there if possible.

Just my thoughts,

Keith

startrek.steve 03-08-09 02:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dizzyblonde (Post 1991606)
A lot of campsites I've been to have a mini kitchen. That could be a good idea

I thought you werent going Lou?
Steve

hovis 03-08-09 03:47 PM

toliets and showers were not the best, it did not bother me though,

as most have said just needs new showers and toliets.

kellyjo 03-08-09 04:32 PM

Landlord and his son were both really friendly, apparently the biggest bash they've had there was 800 folks from the chopper club and there was a bit of grief but the police were too scared so kept well away!!
He did say that plans were in the pipeline for the loo/shower facilities. Apart from that, if i wanted to stay with the kids then yes a play area, a washing up area and better lighting. But for our need, for one night, it was great :-)

gruntygiggles 03-08-09 04:47 PM

If I was to help him update the site and plan a marketing programme, the points I would make are these:-

1/At the corner of the field where the tap is currently positioned, I would put a single building encompassing seperate toilet/shower facilities, a washroom for pots and pans and a utility room with a washing machine & tumble dryer. I've found the use of a tumble dryer even on one night stays to be SOOOOO valuable In freezing conditions, you can warm your PJ's up, in wet conditions you can dry your gear quickly and a washroom would be priceless for those that bring their own stoves as many of us did.
These need not be expensive and £10k can buy you a timber block that will last years and years. If Jim wants details, PM me.

2/ Portable BBQ hire and charcoal etc available for sale on site.

3/ Central hardstanding with solar ground lights.....cheap and easy to do.

4/ Proper kids play area

5/ Dedicated dog at the end of one of the fields with a poo bin if he wants peeps to keep dogs on leads. We were incredibly impressed that our dogs could run around and have fun this weekend as we know they don't run off...but he may want to stipulate leads in the future. A poo bin for doggy nappy bags would be good though.

6/ Register the campsite at the Tourist info offices in the whole of the south east and on the relevant tourist websites.

7/ Poster distribution highlighting facilities and the GREAT atmosphere and service to targeted audiences.....ie/ bike showrooms, classic car, steam rally, hot rod organisations etc.

There's loads more, but that will do for this thread. I always write too much....lol

Spiderman 03-08-09 06:01 PM

All the above s stuff GG, i mean all of them so far) so far involves building things and commiting money etc in the hope of gettign new customers.

This was metioned numerous times on the day but no one seesm to have posted it yet......If he's gonna offer people bacon rolls then there really needs to be more than 1 rasher of bacon. Its an easy one to fix.

hovis 03-08-09 06:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dave20046 (Post 1991671)

thing is....... its not an avrage campsite, its more of a pub and a feild.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Spiderman (Post 1992099)

This was metioned numerous times on the day but no one seesm to have posted it yet......If he's gonna offer people bacon rolls then there really needs to be more than 1 rasher of bacon. Its an easy one to fix.

:thumbsup: and a bit of butter would'nt have gone a miss;)

i bet the owners made a mint this weekend

Messie 03-08-09 06:27 PM

I've been back to The H & H today to settle everything up. Jim was happy to have us and I told him what a star James, his son, was.
He understands fully about the showers and loos and now he has planning permission and local authority license he will do them all up properly.
I get your drift about the bacon sarnies, but c'mon, be realistic. What do you expect for £1.50 with as much tea and coffee as you want.
I don't think they made a mint out of us really; if they made some money I'm glad because they worked their socks of for us, and made us very welcome.
Jim said he's going to sign up to the site soon, so look out for him in the next few days.

Kuze 03-08-09 07:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Messie (Post 1992124)
I've been back to The H & H today to settle everything up. Jim was happy to have us and I told him what a star James, his son, was.
He understands fully about the showers and loos and now he has planning permission and local authority license he will do them all up properly.
I get your drift about the bacon sarnies, but c'mon, be realistic. What do you expect for £1.50 with as much tea and coffee as you want.
I don't think they made a mint out of us really; if they made some money I'm glad because they worked their socks of for us, and made us very welcome.
Jim said he's going to sign up to the site soon, so look out for him in the next few days.

I dont know about you messie but up north we can buy a packet of bacon with 6 baps/barms/muffins (whatever u call em) for about 2 quid!!!

Other than that i just didnt like the bogs, and there was a shower?

I just washed myself in the cold tap in the yard:D

fizzwheel 03-08-09 07:18 PM

Quote:

Jim was happy to have us

I think this is a very important point. It is difficult to find a site that will happily host a group of the size we are.

Quote:

I really think that'll help him with his site and he'll get the best out of his field then.

I cant comment on the bacon rolls / food as I didnt eat any of it as we brought our own grub. But lets not spoil our memories of what was a wanderful weekend, looks to me that the whole thing was positively received with perhaps just a few small niggles rather than a huge disaster, lets not get this out of proportion please.

phil24_7 03-08-09 07:26 PM

This is not a moan at the organisers at all, or the orgers that put time and effort in, but the the food was well below my expectations.

Other than that I echo what most others have said.

None of it managed to overshadow a brilliant weekend though.

dizzyblonde 03-08-09 08:17 PM

Hey...dare I say it, but if small improvements were made, I'd love to be there again for another AR*

*of course I must stipulate that all ARs held there would have to be called Annual Rideout South England...sorry :-) hehehe

Baldyman 03-08-09 08:43 PM

Can only comment on what I saw, ate or drank!
Cracking food, a super pub atmosphere and a brilliant mine host, young lad behind the bar (James?) drove me and Joy back to the motel as he didn't want us ripped off by the taxis!!

Oh yeah and loads of really dubious two wheeled, raucous field dwellers ;)

MrsT 03-08-09 08:52 PM

As a newbie and this being my first AR I have to say I really enjoyed the experience. Met some really great guys and look forward to seeing some of them again in Devon.
Campsite was great for the type of weekend we wanted - just a basic chilled time and some fun. Was great of Jim to let us have such a big fire - Rich and Phil seemed to really enjoy the cave man experience!! :D and Kate and I were just enjoying having a laugh!
Agree with the shower thing being seperate but have to say at least they were nice and warm and not just a dribble (on the bright side)
Food was a little disappointing - however it filled a hole.
Thanks to all for organising and I look forward to more fun and frivolities in Devon and then again next AR.
:o

dizzyblonde 03-08-09 09:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Baldyman (Post 1992266)
young lad behind the bar (James?) drove me and Joy back to the motel as he didn't want us ripped off by the taxis!!

yup EssexDave and Pegasus got a lift back with the lass behind the bar to the motel Saturday. They asked for a taxi number though.

They all were thoroughly pleasant people:smt023

Oh and Mrs T is right, the showers weren't just a dribble, i almost burnt myself on the first attempt too:smt087

Lucas 03-08-09 09:29 PM

a music/dance tent could be fun :rolleyes:

:rave:

Warthog 03-08-09 09:44 PM

I thought the showers were actually nice and powerful and hot! Having a naked man next to me was just a bonus.

hovis 03-08-09 09:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Warthog (Post 1992347)
I thought the showers were actually nice and powerful and hot! Having a naked man next to me was just a bonus.

that depends on who it was?:smt118

laMon 03-08-09 09:53 PM

There's a time and place for everything, but where can you have a coffee in the middle of a field under a tent provided by someone else, organised by someone else, brought in by some one else and cleaned up by someone else?!!! AND park your bike and a tent and fill their drains to the brink and explode them (!) (who's helmet got the $hite?) Then test ride the bikes and do hand brake turns in cars all for 10 tenner a night? And get a goody bag, smiling barman that never has a strop, booze that is not sold by them being consumed in copious amounts...if you ask me...it was a bargain...this is the greedy south and we were in Essex! If and when Eddie Jordan comes for a Hog Roast all the above will not be possible.
I COULD tell you some of the horror stories of the commercialiesed greedy Poles in Zakopane, I will not set my foot there again!
Integrity before profit IMHO. That is what we had. It's only to be thank for.
So thank you Sally and all of the rest who work so hard to deliver a GRAND AR09:notworthy: