SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum (http://forums.sv650.org/index.php)
-   2011 Annual Rideout (http://forums.sv650.org/forumdisplay.php?f=168)
-   -   Travelling oop North from down South (http://forums.sv650.org/showthread.php?t=166868)

The Idle Biker 25-05-11 03:30 PM

Travelling oop North from down South

Hi folks, 300 miles to get to the AR is a tough ask for this Southern nancy and even if I take a few diversions I know I'm going to have to do plenty of boring motorway riding.

Not sure of what's gone on in the past but are there usually plans for a meet for example Oxford, Birmingham or somewhere? What's the story?

rictus01 25-05-11 05:35 PM

Re: Travelling oop North from down South

Normally grounds from the same area will meet locally and travel together, keep an eye on the regional sections, or start a post yourself, alot depends on what time people are kicking off and how much time they have for the journey, some take the friday off and others travel after work that day.

Cheers Mark.

Messie 26-05-11 03:11 PM

Chances are that many of the Soho and Selkent bunch will ride up in one or two groups, depending on bimble/hoon it needs.
The last few years those involved have met at The Ace, quite near to an arranged time, and set off together, often arriving at the same destination at roughly the same time!

Course, they might decide to do it differently this year ...

hongman 27-05-11 08:38 AM

Mmm cant wait!

The Idle Biker 31-05-11 11:51 AM

tbh the thought of covering that distance on motorways on my own is a bit daunting. I'd probably get bored and fed up. I'll try and link up with a few nearer the time, cheers.

That reminds me, must buy tent, must buy luggage, must buy sleeping bags, must buy stuff!

SoulKiss 31-05-11 12:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by The Idle Biker (Post 2547490)
tbh the thought of covering that distance on motorways on my own is a bit daunting. I'd probably get bored and fed up. I'll try and link up with a few nearer the time, cheers.

That reminds me, must buy tent, must buy luggage, must buy sleeping bags, must buy stuff!

I can lend all that stuff if you want/need, well the tent/luggage/sleeping bags anyways, stuff is a little too general to say whether I can also lend that.

Let me know

The Idle Biker 31-05-11 03:59 PM

Cheers Soulkiss that really is bloomin' nice of you. I'd really appreciate the loan of a tent. Thank you very, very much indeed. You now have a good few beers in the credit bin from me.

Luggage and sleeping bags, I'll need to get anyway. Stuff is my way of saying I don't have a clue yet of what I'm going to need. As long as I don't forget my credit card and breakdown cover, I'll adapt to whatever comes my way.

Cheers again.

squirrel_hunter 31-05-11 05:41 PM

I understand there will be some MoFo's representing. Not sure of the route yet as I'm not sure where we're going. But thats fine as I never organize anything anyway. But where in the from down south are you?

The Idle Biker 31-05-11 09:38 PM

I don't want to answer, what is a MoFo?

Anyway, I'm in Haslemere, Surrey. I know Swindon a bit, at least the football ground, the retail park with the train in it, innit, the Ramsdens Chippy, George Whites and ...............my in-laws house. For the last reason only
I try to steer clear.

squirrel_hunter 31-05-11 10:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by The Idle Biker (Post 2548085)
I don't want to answer, what is a MoFo?

You'll find out soon enough...

Quote:

Originally Posted by The Idle Biker (Post 2548085)
Anyway, I'm in Haslemere, Surrey. I know Swindon a bit, at least the football ground, the retail park with the train in it, innit, the Ramsdens Chippy, George Whites and ...............my in-laws house. For the last reason only
I try to steer clear.

Haslemere, no idea where that is. But you have forgotten Swindon's center of culture in that list, The Magic Roundabout.

Raf 03-06-11 02:58 PM

Here, I hope that helps.

It's a looooong time before we need to plan a journey up north.

We'll meet at the ace, point the bikes north and then go for it. I want to do the snake pass again though, this time on a bike which doesn't have it's front spindle loose. Ahh fun times.

keith_d 03-06-11 04:47 PM

My current thinking is a motorway blat up to Brummy land, followed by a nice ride through the peaks. After that it's all flat caps and whippets 'til we get to the men in skirts. So it won't matter which way we go. ;)

BBadger 03-06-11 05:28 PM

Thinking of heading up a day early if others want to as i should have a house in nottingham by then so many free rooms to crash in and a few cheeky drinks to wind down in the sun with for those who are interested?

orose 03-06-11 05:37 PM

Can't disagree with that logic - swing a left at Derby off the M1, then A6 through Matlock to Rowsley, through the Chatsworth estate, Baslow - Calver - Grindleford - Hathersage - Bamford and on to Snake Pass, then hang a right at the end to take you back up on to Woodhead pass, from which you can head over Holme Moss into Holmfirth and towards Huddersfield.

You're then not much over an hour from the site, so you can kick back and relax.

Milky Bar Kid 03-06-11 05:45 PM

Steve are the MoFo's coming then? What about MoFo's of the Daniel variety?

The Idle Biker 03-06-11 08:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Raf (Post 2550102)
Here, I hope that helps.

Thank you Raf for the map of where I live:o Cheers anyway, pop round now you know where I am. How did you know ooeer?

Quote:

Originally Posted by Milky Bar Kid (Post 2550201)
Steve are the MoFo's coming then? What about MoFo's of the Daniel variety?

This is strange code that will only be revealed to me on the night of the AR?
MoFos and Daniels, what strange tongue is this?

-Ralph- 03-06-11 08:54 PM

Just remember that most of the peak district is now 50 mph limit for those who give a **** about speed limits

Milky Bar Kid 03-06-11 08:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by The Idle Biker (Post 2550322)
Thank you Raf for the map of where I live:o Cheers anyway, pop round now you know where I am. How did you know ooeer?

This is strange code that will only be revealed to me on the night of the AR?
MoFos and Daniels, what strange tongue is this?

MoFo's are a select group of the South West Surfers including Squirrel Hunter and Stretchie. Stretchie is Daniel....so he is a MoFo of a Daniel variety!

keith_d 04-06-11 02:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by orose (Post 2550195)
Can't disagree with that logic - swing a left at Derby off the M1, then A6 through Matlock to Rowsley, through the Chatsworth estate, Baslow - Calver - Grindleford - Hathersage - Bamford and on to Snake Pass, then hang a right at the end to take you back up on to Woodhead pass, from which you can head over Holme Moss into Holmfirth and towards Huddersfield.

You're then not much over an hour from the site, so you can kick back and relax.

I just took a look at the map, and from the Ace we could go out on the A40, and pick up the A413 all the way to Towcester, then pick up the M1 through the midlands to Derby.

This is starting to sound like a nice day's riding for us slow folks. Just need to plan meal stops and petrol.

Keith.

dizzyblonde 04-06-11 07:58 PM

Through the Chatsworth estate, is lllloovely!
Once you get up over Holme Moss to Holmfirth (Last of the Summer Wine), you are in my territory.........and by that time, you'll have gotten a taste of the things to come over the weekend. 8) Just close your eyes through Hudds, its a sh1thole. Through to Hx, say hello to Peg for a cuppa, then past YCs house through Keighley....keep your wits about you there then on your way to Settle.

Oh my, I'm getting so excited, not arf as excited as you lot will be when you get here...you'll all be peeing yer pants with so much fun :lol:

Milky Bar Kid 04-06-11 08:59 PM

I think it'll be rubbish.....;)

Fruity-ya-ya 04-06-11 09:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dizzyblonde (Post 2550787)
Oh my, I'm getting so excited, not arf as excited as you lot will be when you get here...you'll all be peeing yer pants with so much fun :lol:

Thought it was just me :smt026

orose 04-06-11 09:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Milky Bar Kid (Post 2550848)
I think it'll be rubbish.....;)

Shush you... there are plenty of places where the only things to disturb a corpse will be sheep :smt063 8-[

The Idle Biker 04-06-11 09:34 PM

Do we bring gifts from down South for you guys, do you have all the essentials?
I have small wallet but a big heart. Or is it the other way around, I forget?

Anyway looking forward to it, did 250 miles today so just another 50 and I would have been there. It'll be a breeze. I can't wait to ride on roads where you can see into distance and see the exit of bends when you go into them. Hoo hah! :D

keith_d 04-06-11 10:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by The Idle Biker (Post 2550883)
Do we bring gifts from down South for you guys, do you have all the essentials?
I have small wallet but a big heart. Or is it the other way around, I forget?

Traditional things are glass beads, metal knives and rotgut whisky.

<hides before MBK gets online>

Milky Bar Kid 04-06-11 10:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by keith_d (Post 2550909)
Traditional things are glass beads, metal knives and rotgut whisky.

<hides before MBK gets online>

Please read Ollies post below and take note...;)

Quote:

Originally Posted by orose (Post 2550879)
Shush you... there are plenty of places where the only things to disturb a corpse will be sheep :smt063 8-[

I be joking of course! It shall be the most bestest AR ever this year!

Messie 05-06-11 06:52 AM

Can we keep the chat to the chat thread please? Keep this one for route planning.

Ta!

tinpants 26-06-11 10:19 PM

I'm aiming to leave at about 9am on the friday so I guess I'll hit Strensham services on the M5 at about 10. I don't know if I'll be in a van with the bike in the back, or just on the bike, but I'm willi ng to meet anyone coming up from the South West and travel up in convoy. Just let me know.