SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum (http://forums.sv650.org/index.php)
-   SV Talk, Tuning & Tweaking (http://forums.sv650.org/forumdisplay.php?f=111)
-   -   I've Killed Another One (http://forums.sv650.org/showthread.php?t=137248)

squirrel_hunter 09-08-09 08:27 PM

I've Killed Another One

Yep I've blown the engine again. Those that know me know that I consider this a consumable item, my last SV had 4 engines in it over its life, this one has survived some c.20,000 miles with me.

Its the same problem as before, lack of oil. I know I'm an idiot. I knew it was low but I thought I had enough in it. I checked it before I left for the AR and it was right on the minimum so as I didn't have any in the garage I thought I'd risk the 500 mile trip. Turns out this was a mistake, I've put 1.5l in to get it back to where it should be.

I'm sure its terminal though it still runs for now. It sounds like a tractor, there is a dreadful knocking above 5,000rpm and it has as much power as an SV325.

So where do I go from here? I have a spare engine that was fitted to my other bike but I had it changed as the cam chains sounded rattly and I wasn't happy with it. But I think that was more in my mind then anything. Trouble is its been sat for some 4 years, will it be usable?

Or should I get one from eBay and fit that with an unknown vintage? Or should I disassemble this one and replace whats damaged? If I do that what would need replacing from oil starvation and whats that likely to cost?

In summary, do I go for the garage engine, the eBay engine, the rebuild, or another suggestion?

ranathari 09-08-09 08:29 PM

Re: I've Killed Another One

Maybe get in the habit of carrying a bottle of oil under the pillion seat? ;)

DarrenSV650S 09-08-09 08:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by squirrel_hunter (Post 1998752)
I checked it before I left for the AR and it was right on the minimum so as I didn't have any in the garage I thought I'd risk the 500 mile trip.

:confused:

Spiderman 09-08-09 08:36 PM

i killed one car engine fro oil starvatio years agi and pomised i'd never let that happen again.

How many pertol stations did you pass on the way to AR, you nut job :lol:

Red Herring 09-08-09 08:45 PM

That's an expensive 1.5l of oil then....

Richie 09-08-09 08:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by squirrel_hunter (Post 1998752)
I checked it before I left for the AR and it was right on the minimum so as I didn't have any in the garage I thought I'd risk the 500 mile trip. Turns out this was a mistake, I've put 1.5l in to get it back to where it should be.

Engine oil level = 2.3 litres.

2.3 - 1.5 = 0.8

When you stop your bike, simply wait for 2 mins and look at the engine oil sight glass, it's on the right hand side of the engine and says oil... If your still satride your bike and look over the right hand side the the engine so both feet are on the ground and your bending over the towards the right looking down ( upside down) it says 710

expensive lesson

;-) as I'm sure you know this.

Binky 09-08-09 08:51 PM

How much have you paid for complete engines in the past and where have you tended to buy them from?

natcar 09-08-09 08:56 PM

Buy a honda? Not many engines burn oil -thought suzukis were pretty oil tight- unless you are using too many revs or spending a lot of time on the back wheel?

squirrel_hunter 09-08-09 08:58 PM

I know, I know. Don't worry I'm not looking for sympathy. I've done this more than once. It had never gone this low before, I know how much oil the bike uses, it just seams that for some reason it burned through a good liter far quicker than I've ever seen it do before.

So what does the org think about the engine in the garage, is this my best option. Are there any checks I should do on it before installation or should I just stick it in add oil and hope for the best?

squirrel_hunter 09-08-09 09:09 PM

Previously engines have cost c.£350 and then garage fitting. Usually accompanied with some other bills. This time as its been a while I now have the space and equipment to do the swap myself as its been at least 4 years I last had to change an engine.

Quote:

Originally Posted by natcar (Post 1998791)
Buy a honda? Not many engines burn oil -thought suzukis were pretty oil tight- unless you are using too many revs or spending a lot of time on the back wheel?

There is no such thing as too many revs. I ride the bike in the power band, I ride it like a two stroke. The down side to that is it uses oil like a two stroke. Its just never used that much so quickly before which has caught me out.

But consider this, why do latter generation SV's have an oil cooler? Speaking to Pete who experienced similar oil usage we surmised that the engine was cooking the oil sending it into the air box in vapor which would then burn through. The air box on both of my bikes contained a good amount of oil, and both bikes and all engines used a fair bit...

And for the record I do not wheelie, and my NC23 used a little extra oil than most.

Steve_God 09-08-09 09:29 PM

Surely you could modify a scottoiler to inject oil into your engine at regular intervals? ;)

_Stretchie_ 09-08-09 09:54 PM

Stevie Stevie Stevie

Red Herring 09-08-09 10:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by squirrel_hunter (Post 1998815)

There is no such thing as too many revs. I ride the bike in the power band, I ride it like a two stroke. The down side to that is it uses oil like a two stroke.

Why don't you get a two stroke then?
Far be it for me to tell you how to ride a bike but an SV650 is a four stroke twin and they are completely different to any two stroke I've every owned....and that's quite a few. If you're riding it like you do a 2/stroke you're not getting the best out of one of them.

MattCollins 09-08-09 10:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Steve_God (Post 1998838)
Surely you could modify a scottoiler to inject oil into your engine at regular intervals? ;)

:) Outside the box and not a silly idea...

Cheers

Red Herring 09-08-09 10:07 PM

Quote:

What, you mean like a two stroke......:o

_Stretchie_ 09-08-09 10:08 PM

WHOA... My sis just said a very good thing.

I told her about this thread, and that I had 5l of oil in the car last weekend, and that this isn't the first engine you;ve done this too and her reply....

"And you've lent him YOUR BIKE??!?!?!?!?!"

:shock: #-o :smt107

Check that oil boy!!!! I know it's a honda but it needs oil

_Stretchie_ 09-08-09 10:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Red Herring (Post 1998909)
What, you mean like a two stroke......:o

I think he means he kicks the r's out of it to get it to move that quick. He's not a slow fella you know.

We've told him to get a bigger / faster bike before now

thefallenangel 09-08-09 10:14 PM

break for bits and invest.

Or try and build one good engine out of the bits you got?
/
Depends on what you want? Will the SV be expected to last another 20,000 miles or 20?

squirrel_hunter 09-08-09 10:33 PM

Quote:

I like this idea a lot, genius.

Red Herring 09-08-09 10:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by _Stretchie_ (Post 1998913)
I think he means he kicks the r's out of it to get it to move that quick. He's not a slow fella you know.

We've told him to get a bigger / faster bike before now

I race mine and I still don't ride it like a two stroke, but hey, to each their own.

squirrel_hunter 09-08-09 10:41 PM

The two stroke remark was more of a throwaway comment trying to describe how I use the engine; keeping it in the power band. I have a two stroke project bike and nearly bought another recently and I'd love to own a 3XV or a MC28

Stretchie I'll check it in the morning. If I remember...

yorkie_chris 09-08-09 10:45 PM

I dunno, not ridden enough 2 strokes. But my SV is quickest when you keep it at the proper revs like about 8k.

Squirrel you're a tit!
Tear engine down ASAP, maybe because it is only knocking at high revs the crank may be OK.

squirrel_hunter 09-08-09 10:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by thefallenangel (Post 1998924)
break for bits and invest.

Or try and build one good engine out of the bits you got?
/
Depends on what you want? Will the SV be expected to last another 20,000 miles or 20?

Breaking crossed my mind. But I need a bike to ride.

Rebuilding it isn't a problem, just depends what needs replacing and what thats going to cost. Any ideas of an easy way to find out?

As for how long I want it to last, my original went to 70,000 miles before I parked it. Though that one will live again. This one, who knows. By the time I'd want to sale it the mileage will put people off so it will be broken then. When that will be is another question...

squirrel_hunter 09-08-09 10:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by yorkie_chris (Post 1998956)
I dunno, not ridden enough 2 strokes. But my SV is quickest when you keep it at the proper revs like about 8k.

Squirrel you're a tit!
Tear engine down ASAP, maybe because it is only knocking at high revs the crank may be OK.

And 8k is where I live, well between that and the red line.

Yes, yes I am.

Knocking is 5K upward and power drops off around the 8K mark. What signs should I be looking for? I know the engines screwed but what exactly do you think has happened? Piston slap is presumed, based on a previous one but what does that entail in replacement parts?

Binky 09-08-09 10:53 PM

Just a note. I may have an engine from a K2 for sale in a few weeks if that can help you out at all?

Red Herring 09-08-09 11:00 PM

Whip the cam covers off and have a look at the lobes, if they're blue and pitted it's cooked the top end, but a knocking is usually bottom end I'm afraid.

squirrel_hunter 09-08-09 11:22 PM

Binky, keep me posted.

Red Herring, will do. I think either way the engines got to come out to fix or replace whats wrong. So it looks like thats job number one...

Richie 09-08-09 11:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Red Herring (Post 1998953)
I race mine and I still don't ride it like a two stroke, but hey, to each their own.

I'm imagining the scene...

Filling up with fuel and then putting the two stroke oil in the fuel tank and shaking the bike left to right to mix it up.. :smt036 :geek: :drunken:

MattCollins 09-08-09 11:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by squirrel_hunter (Post 1998962)
Knocking is 5K upward and power drops off around the 8K mark. What signs should I be looking for? I know the engines screwed but what exactly do you think has happened? Piston slap is presumed, based on a previous one but what does that entail in replacement parts?

For the knocking problem, I would think that the crank would need examining very closely, and in all likelyhood machining and definitely a new set of bearings. The power loss is a concern which might suggest that the bores and/or cams have been damaged by oil starvation... and who knows how much the gearbox and primary drive have suffered. Without pulling it apart it is hard to know.

8k to redline? Hmmm... These engines are as cheap as the suspension that Suzuki puts on the bike.

Cheers

MattCollins 09-08-09 11:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Richie (Post 1998979)
I'm imagining the scene...

Filling up with fuel and then putting the two stroke oil in the fuel tank and shaking the bike left to right to mix it up.. :smt036 :geek: :drunken:

That'd be my missus and her ancient leaded fuel in an unleaded world Volvo. She mixes an oily top end lube at 1% and rocks the beast to mix it. I have been tempted to substitute two stroke oil for all the good it does. It is overdue for valves.

ThEGr33k 10-08-09 01:00 AM

Squirrel... :(

daved407 10-08-09 08:04 AM

Sorry to hear your woes. My opinion for what its worth, is you get someone else to do the work. If you cant top up oil I question your ability to take apart an engine. I am assuming your bike has remarkable fuel economy, in the 500 mile round trip you never once had to fill up at a fuel station or garage, where next to the sandwiches, sticky bars and magazines they sell Motul and Duckhams finest oils?

Gentle mickey taking aside I feel for you but I guess thats how mechanics make their money. You have looked at most the options, its a simple equation. You take engine apart spend lots of time and money on it or throw it to a dealer and change engine. Time over money, which do you have most of?

Alpinestarhero 10-08-09 08:47 AM

Shoulda paid attention to the thread I put up a while back in IB about the importance of oil in engines ;) this is very very naughty!

Sounds like the bearing surfaces etc are completly shot. Get a new engine installed, and this time, LOOK AFTER IT. When i do an oil change, I often have a litre or so of oil left over in the bottle - this is for topping up. If you know an engine uses oil, then keep an eye on it and top up as required. When my engine was leaking oil, I carried around 200 ml's with me, just incase I was caught a bit short.

Oil isnt just for lubrication; amongst that (very important) job, engine oil also helps keep an engine clean, and helps keep an engine cool, in addition to other jobs.. Remember also that your motorcycle engine oil must provide lubrication for the gear box and for the clutch.

Matt

yorkie_chris 10-08-09 06:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by squirrel_hunter (Post 1998962)
And 8k is where I live, well between that and the red line.

Yes, yes I am.

Secondhand set of barrels and pistons plus head gaskets + base gaskets probably <£100 and don't need to drop the engine out of the frame.

yorkie_chris 10-08-09 07:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Alpinestarhero (Post 1999084)
Shoulda paid attention to the thread I put up a while back in IB about the importance of oil in engines ;) this is very very naughty!

F'in hell ASH.

You thought of being a primary school teacher? Sounds like you're telling little ralph to stop licking the glue-sticks.

thefallenangel 10-08-09 07:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by yorkie_chris (Post 1999898)
Secondhand set of barrels and pistons plus head gaskets + base gaskets probably <£100 and don't need to drop the engine out of the frame.

Can you pinch gaskets off another engine to save more money?

yorkie_chris 10-08-09 07:48 PM

Nah they're only meant to seal once AFAIK

dizzyblonde 10-08-09 08:33 PM

hey I LEARNT on the first blown engine to check the oil and fill it up!
I have to check one SV for losing it out of the clutch housing, and one for burning it.
I took half a litre of oil for the trip to the AR. I used most of it, and the rest went in on Thursday.

BUT FOUR and you haven't learnt???????????

squirrel_hunter 10-08-09 08:58 PM

Umm, I'm getting an idea...

If the barrels and pistons are gone then I have a plan. Hayabusa pistons anyone? Get the existing barrel bored out for them which will refreshen it and stick it all back together. So I'm looking at a rebore and gaskets, what do we reckon the rebore will cost?

I think I will take the engine out as its a small space to work in and not having taken one of these apart before I think I might as well.

But how can I be sure that its the top end thats damaged and not the bottom end?

Iansv II 10-08-09 09:12 PM

Blimey, my sv engine hardly drank any oil at all

I did blow up my 125 with oil starvation though, dealer took the engine apart to show me when he bought the rest for parts, was a tad messy