SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum (http://forums.sv650.org/index.php)
-   SV Talk, Tuning & Tweaking (http://forums.sv650.org/forumdisplay.php?f=111)
-   -   Rebuild update. (http://forums.sv650.org/showthread.php?t=240652)

mister c 25-11-22 07:32 AM

Rebuild update.

Sorry, I've been a little busy over the past couple of weeks, so thought I would update you on what I'm doing with the SV
Part 11 & 12 of the rebuild have been published on YouTube. If you wish to watch them, I'll put the links below.
I have bought an RGV250 single seat unit for it, but when I loosely fitted it, it has been consigned to the "under the bench" status. I am also thinking of junking the FZ fairing as the more I look at it, the more I don't think it fits the look of the bike, so have ordered a normal 7" headlamp, but am fitting an LED lamp to it. I still love the Panigale silencer, so am trying to suss out how to make a link pipe for it, I may have to push it to an engineering company about half a mile away from me to see if it's possible.

Part 11
YouTube Video
Error: If you cannot see this video, then either YouTube is down or you don't have Flash installed to play it.

Part 12
YouTube Video
Error: If you cannot see this video, then either YouTube is down or you don't have Flash installed to play it.

https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/202...7c4d424f06.jpg

Sir Trev 25-11-22 05:11 PM

Re: Rebuild update.

I'm sure you'll make the right choice with the bodywork Mr C.

I sat on an SV650 at the Show yesterday and fondly remembered how it made me feel when I had one back in the day. And then I wondered what you'd do to it to make it more unique. :)

mister c 27-11-22 11:15 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sir Trev (Post 3138969)
I'm sure you'll make the right choice with the bodywork Mr C.

I sat on an SV650 at the Show yesterday and fondly remembered how it made me feel when I had one back in the day. And then I wondered what you'd do to it to make it more unique. :)

Cheers Trev
I quite like the look of the new SV. Cafe racer look would be cool, or, as a Japanese factory has done, Katana look alike is very nice. Obviously junk the gladius exhaust.
2nd picture is now how I'm going after spending hours trying to get the RGV seat fitted.https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/202...c14912acaf.jpghttps://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/202...52962a02bf.jpg

Sent from my M2102J20SG using Tapatalk

Sir Trev 27-11-22 03:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mister c (Post 3138980)
... or, as a Japanese factory has done, Katana look alike is very nice. Obviously junk the gladius exhaust...https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/202...c14912acaf.jpg

Always had a soft spot for the Katana (the classic one, not the modern monstrosity or the dreadfully mis-named mopeds).

The zorst on your current mock up looks fruity :cool:

EssEllTwo 27-11-22 10:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mister c (Post 3138980)

I want one!!

squirrel_hunter 28-11-22 12:03 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mister c (Post 3138961)

Thats an interesting looking exhaust you have there, I'd like to know more, whats the story?

mister c 28-11-22 07:31 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sir Trev (Post 3138981)
Always had a soft spot for the Katana (the classic one, not the modern monstrosity or the dreadfully mis-named mopeds).

The zorst on your current mock up looks fruity :cool:

I never liked them when they 1st came out, but have a proper soft spot for them as I got older. I would love an original & do keep looking on Ebay at the 400 variant as I'd never be able to afford the 1000.

Quote:

Originally Posted by EssEllTwo (Post 3138986)
I want one!!

Nice isn't it? Maybe the Japanese should build one for the market.

Quote:

Originally Posted by squirrel_hunter (Post 3138988)
Thats an interesting looking exhaust you have there, I'd like to know more, whats the story?

I have a vision in my head of what the bike is going to look like when finished & I wanted a twin exit exhaust & saw this on a Ducati Panigale. I MAY still use this, but will have to have a bespoke link pipe made as the Duke is 60mm & the SV 55mm, plus the Duke pipe angle means that I can't just have 1 bend in the link pipe, it needs at least 2.

garynortheast 16-12-22 11:02 PM

Hey Col, any advance on part 14 of the rebuild yet?

Sir Trev 30-03-23 04:13 PM

Col, I'm on tenterhooks here! Did the SV pass the MoT?

mister c 01-04-23 04:46 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sir Trev (Post 3140034)
Col, I'm on tenterhooks here! Did the SV pass the MoT?

This is where I'm up to at the moment. I am buying some new tyres sometime this month, then I'll see about the MOT at the end of this month I think.

YouTube Video

Sir Trev 01-04-23 12:52 PM

I saw ep20 the other day, and you mentioned getting it MoT'd near the end, hence me asking :p

Will keep my fingers crossed for you.

mister c 02-04-23 11:20 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sir Trev (Post 3140061)
I saw ep20 the other day, and you mentioned getting it MoT'd near the end, hence me asking :p

Will keep my fingers crossed for you.

Thank you. I don't think that it will pass. I'm a little sceptical about the rear suspension bushes as there is a tiny bit of play (and it is tiny), but, we'll see. It will give me a benchmark to work from to solve it though

garynortheast 02-04-23 08:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mister c (Post 3140066)
Thank you. I don't think that it will pass. I'm a little sceptical about the rear suspension bushes as there is a tiny bit of play (and it is tiny), but, we'll see. It will give me a benchmark to work from to solve it though

Would you replace the bushes or the whole linkage Col? Or is it the swingarm bushes you're looking at?

EssEllTwo 03-04-23 06:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mister c (Post 3140066)

If it's only small, it would probably end up as an advisory. My SV had an advisory down as swinging arm play on the last MOT it had before I bought it.

As it turned out, the swinging arm was fine, it was the top bush of the stock shock that was knackered after 5k miles :rolleyes:. Luckily I found that when I was swapping it out for the Shock Factory replacement.

mister c 03-04-23 08:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by garynortheast (Post 3140070)
Would you replace the bushes or the whole linkage Col? Or is it the swingarm bushes you're looking at?

Just the top linkage, it looked a little rough when removed. I've regreased it, but you can hear a tiny clunk when moved up & down. You can't feel any movement though.

mister c 03-04-23 08:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by EssEllTwo (Post 3140072)
If it's only small, it would probably end up as an advisory. My SV had an advisory down as swinging arm play on the last MOT it had before I bought it.

As it turned out, the swinging arm was fine, it was the top bush of the stock shock that was knackered after 5k miles :rolleyes:. Luckily I found that when I was swapping it out for the Shock Factory replacement.

I'll keep my fingers crossed that it is put as an advisory. If not, the bearing & bush are about £50, so will get one ordered

mister c 20-04-23 02:37 PM

Ok, a quick update.
I haven't really done a lot to be honest. I've bought some new tyres that have been fitted yesterday & that's it really
I've ordered some steel sheet & am going to have a bash a making my own seat pan & hump, we'll see how that goes. I still haven't taken it for an MOT yet either, so that's something else on the cards.
I haven't really been in the mood, hence why it's taking as long as it is, I had to put our dog to sleep yesterday as he's had cancer, so things have been focused elsewhere. The bikes in one piece now, but don't think it will be for long...... We'll see [emoji846]https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/202...0ae12bc5ce.jpghttps://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/202...e7571a41df.jpg

garynortheast 20-04-23 04:29 PM

Col, I'm really sorry to hear about your dog. It's such a hard thing to have to do, they're so much a part of the family.

admin 20-04-23 06:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by garynortheast (Post 3140178)
Col, I'm really sorry to hear about your dog. It's such a hard thing to have to do, they're so much a part of the family.

Same here. Sorry to hear about your dog.

Sent from my SM-T510 using Tapatalk

Sir Trev 20-04-23 07:02 PM

Same from me too. Its a trying time and rightly takes up your thoughts. Sorry to hear you had to go through it.

mister c 21-04-23 01:59 PM

Thanks guys. It's hit my missus far harder than me, she says that she's killed him, but I have to keep telling her that he was really struggling with the normal things a dog does (like stand up, go for a walk etc.). Time will heal things eventually for her I suppose.
On a lighter note, I'm sat in waiting for my parcel to be delivered, so may get a little "shed time" later :)

mister c 30-05-23 05:15 AM

Ok, a quick update on where I'm up to at the moment.
I'm having a go at building my own seat unit just to make the bike look different. It could just be one of those "waste of money" things that I tend to do, but we'll see how it goes.
I've also bought some Argon & stainless wire for my mig welder to have a go at the Ducati exhaust, but I don't think that my welding skills are anywhere near good enough to make it look anything like. It's all a big learning curve & I like to play with these things .https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/202...0139dc2c4f.jpghttps://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/202...84daacac88.jpg

admin 01-06-23 08:12 AM

I've got to applaud you for having a go at this Colin. It's not as easy as it looks.

mister c 01-06-23 10:24 AM

Cheers John. It keeps me out of the wife's way [emoji3]

Sir Trev 01-06-23 07:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mister c (Post 3140628)
It keeps me out of the wife's way [emoji3]

I'm going to have to remember that for when I retire in a few years...

mister c 18-07-23 06:52 PM

Yet another quick update. I'm waiting on my bearing from TWF Racing in the States, but had to chuck the forks on to see what it looks like. I'm quite liking it now [emoji16]I have some clip ons ordered, so waiting for those too https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/202...b4f250357f.jpg

admin 18-07-23 07:33 PM

Looking good

Sent from my moto g(50) using Tapatalk

garynortheast 18-07-23 07:36 PM

I watched your fibreglassing and sanding update last night Col. I have to say that is looking very good.

garynortheast 17-12-23 10:30 PM

Just watched episode 29 Col. Bit odd, the damage!

mister c 17-12-23 10:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by garynortheast (Post 3142626)
Just watched episode 29 Col. Bit odd, the damage!

I'm baffled as to how it's happened. Maybe have some sort of animal living in there during the night time

garynortheast 17-12-23 10:46 PM

The fact that it's all one side would suggest that it's either fallen over, or something has fallen on it. If it fell over you would maybe expect to see more damage. I'd have thought it would have made a fair crash too. And who stood it back up? Has to be something landing on it I think.

mister c 17-12-23 10:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by garynortheast (Post 3142628)
The fact that it's all one side would suggest that it's either fallen over, or something has fallen on it.

But it was sat up on the stand when I walked in & noticed it & there isn't anything on the floor. It is very strange

garynortheast 17-12-23 10:51 PM

Really baffling.

mister c 18-12-23 07:18 AM

Or it could be that I'm going senile and I've done it & can't remember [emoji1787]

admin 18-12-23 09:17 AM

I watched it too yesterday. I'm also wondering what caused the damage, very odd.

garynortheast 03-02-24 08:36 AM

Just watched part 30 Col. I'll be interested to see what the rear sets feel like in use.

mister c 04-02-24 06:13 PM

Yes, it'll be good to see how they compare.
I've had a chest infection for the last 10 days so haven't made any progress with it yet

mister c 08-04-24 12:24 PM

2 Attachment(s)
Sorry I've been a bit quiet, but, as usual, life has got in the way.
The SV has taken a different turn, I didn't like my attempt at a single seat, so have gone back to the oe seat & I've fitted a single headlamp. I have also given up with the YouTube videos as they were taking hours to edit & my CBA mood took over, hence why there have been no updates. I just thought I'd let the org see how progress is going. I will put some more up in the future as I get to finish it off, which shouldn't be too long now.Attachment 16936Attachment 16937

Luckypants 08-04-24 12:28 PM

More time editing than spannering eh Colin? Life is too short for that.

mister c 08-04-24 12:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Luckypants (Post 3143546)
More time editing than spannering eh Colin? Life is too short for that.

I used to make the music, then edit & narrate. It used to be quite good to do, but I just started to find it a chore. The spannering seemed to take a back seat for a while too, but I'm getting back into it a bit more now