SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum (http://forums.sv650.org/index.php)
-   Bikes - Talk & Issues (http://forums.sv650.org/forumdisplay.php?f=129)
-   -   Avon Storm vs Avon Storm Ultra (http://forums.sv650.org/showthread.php?t=146219)

Luckypants 05-02-10 10:09 AM

Avon Storm vs Avon Storm Ultra

HI Folks,

I'm wondering if anyone has any experience of the Avon Storm Ultra (newer Storm)? If so can you post up your views of this tyre. I'd be especially interested in anyone who has had the standard Storm and the newer ultras :thumbsup:

TIA

Luckypants 09-02-10 05:03 PM

Re: Avon Storm vs Avon Storm Ultra

Had this moved from the tyres section in the hope someone might have something to add.

So bump!

hindle8907 10-02-10 03:13 PM

i have them on at the moment but i went from stock .. but they seem to be a big improvement.

I cant comment much more as the weather hasn't permitted full testing .

plowsie 10-02-10 04:03 PM

You had a read on Avons site Mike? I would hope that they have resolved the tyre shoulder issues that a few people had with them. Me being one of them, my grandad another and correct me if I'm wrong, you had them too?

EDIT: Doesn't really say much more than, we have some more mileage, apparently http://www.avon-tyres.co.uk/motorcycle/storm-2-ultra

Luckypants 10-02-10 04:05 PM

I have read the site, but it is marketing blurb mainly. What do you mean by shoulder issues?

plowsie 10-02-10 04:09 PM

Where the shoulder of the tyre worn before the centre.

Drew Carey 10-02-10 04:10 PM

+1 to "Shoulder Issues".....never had any problems with the two sets I had.....both were brill.

I'm guessing that the newer ones will just be an improovement on the older......plus they aren't really much more expensive, so I guess there is nothing to lose by using them? But like you, would be good to hear / see some reviews.....as I was thinking about Storms on the 955i when tyre change comes around.

Luckypants 10-02-10 04:15 PM

Well I had one front where it had no tread left on the right 'shoulder' but still 1.5mm or so in the center, but surely this is down to the roads you ride. Wearing shoulders is a fact of life round here. It was not a case that the front had a lot of tread left anywhere.

All my rears (next will be my 4th or 5th) have worn out in the centre before the shoulders.

Still I would like someone with experience of the Ultras to comment.

plowsie 10-02-10 04:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Luckypants (Post 2177619)
Well I had one front where it had no tread left on the right 'shoulder' but still 1.5mm or so in the center, but surely this is down to the roads you ride.

Thats what I meant. Got no excuse round Birmingham and Northampton for the roads lol. We both had it happen which steered me away from them the next time I got some tyres.

rictus01 10-02-10 04:25 PM

I'll be giving these a go once the 2ct's are dead, given my mileage probably mid March or so, I've used the standard ones on two other bikes (currently on the S4) so will be able to give a good perspective hopefully.

Cheers Mark.

yorkie_chris 10-02-10 04:34 PM

I need a rear soon, but with all the other changes I have made to the bike a comparison will be meaningless really.

Luckypants 11-02-10 11:49 AM

I will need a rear in the next couple of hundred miles and defo before my MOT on 27th March. Looks like I'll be guinea pig along with Chris and Mark. I've got the same set up as last 6k miles, so can do the comparison.

I must say that I'm hoping the blurb in Ride is right about them being more suited to heavier bikes than the previous version, my rears are averaging 5K miles but really suffer if I get a wriggle on. The front manages about 1.75 rears, so about 8.5K miles. The 12% better mileage claim will be closely looked at by me!

vardypeeps 11-02-10 12:41 PM

I'm planning on fitting some Avon Stoms to the CB750 soon but these look like a better option (so long as there not over £200).

Lozzo 11-02-10 08:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Drew Carey (Post 2177614)
+1 to "Shoulder Issues".....never had any problems with the two sets I had.....both were brill.

I'm guessing that the newer ones will just be an improovement on the older......plus they aren't really much more expensive, so I guess there is nothing to lose by using them? But like you, would be good to hear / see some reviews.....as I was thinking about Storms on the 955i when tyre change comes around.

I'd recommend Michelin Pilot Road2s for the Daytona. I was a huge fan of the Avon AV45/46ST before I tried these and loved them. 8k from the rear Michelin with no loss of grip or feel at that mileage either, they gripped like the proverbial smelly stuff to a blanket in all conditions too.

I have Avon Viper Sports on my Versys but wouldn't recomend them to anyone trying to get high mileage from a tyre

Luckypants 12-02-10 12:17 AM

I had AV45/46 (Azarros) on my SV and really liked them but I have to say that the AV55/56 (Storms) are a step up in grip and composure from them, especially in the wet.

I'm interested in comments on the Ultras because I'm gonna need a new rear soon to go with the nearly new front. I think this pair will wear out about the same time so may try PR2s if the Storm Ultra does not fare better on mileage.

STRAMASHER 12-02-10 08:53 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lozzo (Post 2179186)

I have Avon Viper Sports on my Versys but wouldn't recomend them to anyone trying to get high mileage from a tyre

I would imagine one is having/will have some fun with THEM on THAT!?

Lozzo 12-02-10 11:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by STRAMASHER (Post 2179563)
I would imagine one is having/will have some fun with THEM on THAT!?

Oh yes :D

The Versys handles extremely well for the type of bike it is, and with super-sticky tyres it's sublime. Towards the latter part of last year I was out playing on some of my favourite roads, doing the knee down thing and putting larger sports bikes to shame. It's fun doing that with a set of panniers on. One of the first things I did to the bike was remove the hero blobs from the footrests because they were digging in, and that was before I lowered it.

Unfortunately I haven't been able to play recently due to illness, but the weather has been crap anyway so I'm not too bothered. These tyres will have to come off in favour of something more long lasting before June, because I have a trip to Malta planned for when I am well enough to ride that far. These Vipers would just about last as far as the ferry from Genoa.

davepreston 13-02-10 12:14 AM

well im going to try these new ones soon as im keeping the tryes on at present for trackdays so i'll let you lot know how they go soon hopefully

Luckypants 23-02-10 11:28 AM

Holy Crap! Buckley Tyres want £128.90 for a Storm Ultra rear, fitted, VAT, blah blah...!! That is about £30 more than I paid for my last rear! Now at 180/55R17 the VFR rear tyre is more than an SV tyre, but come on!

What prices are others seeing for Storms fitted?

Dave20046 23-02-10 11:30 AM

circa £90 fitted (loose wheel) for a regular storm here in shiny sheff.

hindle8907 23-02-10 11:41 AM

i got mine fitted at my home from a mobile service guy for 200 all in .

Luckypants 23-02-10 11:56 AM

Well I just got a price for £113 fitted elsewhere, for the cost of an extra £5 in petrol. So Buckley can say bye bye to my custom. :D

SUPERSTARDJ01 23-02-10 12:01 PM

http://www.motorcyclenews.com/MCN/Pr...?&R=EPI-120351

littleoldman 13-06-10 10:37 PM

So LP whats the Avon Storm Ultra been like, give us an update, cheers Mal

suzsv650 14-06-10 07:27 AM

Used Avon Storm ST's for about 3 years, awesome tyre, I got the Ultra fitted about 3 weeks ago, wore it in for ~60 miles then did 15 mins on track and performed perfect!

You can clearly see the dual compound (you can see the two lines where the tyre’s compounds’ are moulded together). With the centre of the tyre being a lot tougher, unsure on millage just yet. Perfect tyre for anyone riding on the road, i doubt anyone will need much more grip.

Lozzo 14-06-10 08:54 AM

I've opted for Pirelli Diablo Stradas now, and the rear tread looks deeper than a tractors. Really impressed with them on the Versys and remember they were pretty good on my first SV, a K3 naked

Littlepeahead 14-06-10 09:02 AM

Mr LPH promised me a new set of Storm Ultras for my birthday/Christmas as I'm still on the rubbish ones that came on the bike new. Now my elbow is finally on the mend and I can ride again we're going to get them done soon as I've read good things about them.

New tyres for my birthday, and I got him a sports rackand tail pack for his XJR for his birthday - who ever said romance was dead. :smt060

Littlepeahead 14-06-10 09:02 AM

Mr LPH promised me a new set of Storm Ultras for my birthday/Christmas as I'm still on the rubbish tyres that came on the bike new. Now my elbow is finally on the mend and I can ride again we're going to get them done soon as I've read good things about them.

New tyres for my birthday, and I got him a sports rackand tail pack for his XJR for his birthday - who ever said romance was dead. :smt060

Luckypants 14-06-10 09:04 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by littleoldman (Post 2294671)
So LP whats the Avon Storm Ultra been like, give us an update, cheers Mal

See this thread (http://forums.sv650.org/showthread.php?t=147955) for a full discussion of the Storm Ultras.

skeetly 14-06-10 08:20 PM

Where did you get the ultra fitted in the end Mike?
I've had 4500 out of the rear storm on the sprint btw..

Luckypants 14-06-10 11:29 PM

I went to Steve at F&B in the end Mark. £107 ride-in/out for the rear. Just had a front off him about 3 weeks ago for £84. Quiff had a pair for about £185 the week after. It's a fair step for you to Sandbach but as you have family over there it could be combined with a visit? ;)

Want his number?

skeetly 15-06-10 05:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Luckypants (Post 2295704)
I went to Steve at F&B in the end Mark. £107 ride-in/out for the rear. Just had a front off him about 3 weeks ago for £84. Quiff had a pair for about £185 the week after. It's a fair step for you to Sandbach but as you have family over there it could be combined with a visit? ;)

Want his number?

Yes please..
Another excuse to go see the little feller again :D

Luckypants 15-06-10 10:21 PM

Steve's number is 01270760795, located on Forgefields in Wheelock near Sandbach. He trades as F&B tyres. His place is the one with the big yellow van in this Streetview

skeetly 15-06-10 11:22 PM

cheers mike