SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum (http://forums.sv650.org/index.php)
-   Idle Banter (http://forums.sv650.org/forumdisplay.php?f=116)
-   -   ideas please (http://forums.sv650.org/showthread.php?t=105629)

busasean 29-02-08 04:26 PM

ideas please

ok, some of you may or may not know that i am entered into this years Enduro Africa in October, rather than trying to beg money from the forum (although when i get really desperate that may change!) i need some sensible ideas to raise sponsership. i have so far put £900 of my own cash in plus £600 from my company. I am writing to about 20 sub - contracting companies to see if they will sponser me, as well as have some charity boxes in a friends cafe. we are doing a few dress down type events at work. on june 21st i am doing john o'groats to lands end in a day on my tiger 1050 as a fund raising event for enduro as well as macmillan and once i hit the £4999 required the balance will be given to macmillan. does anyone else have any ideas? - oh, and forget anything to do with heights!!!!!

cheers Sean

Kinvig 29-02-08 04:33 PM

Re: ideas please

It's not really worth selling things like DVDs & CDs on ebay - unless it's a job lot as you lose too much for such a small return.

I sold my guitar collection. I broke into my cash ISAs, all my money-for-a-mortgage, my company share options & all my savings.

I've been going to subway for the £2 sub of the day.

Even now I know that I'll be maxing out my credit card & I may sell the bike in russia then buy a new one in the USA to save on transport costs.

stewie 29-02-08 04:38 PM

3 peaks challenge ?

missyburd 29-02-08 04:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rubberduckofdeath (Post 1433403)
Parachute jump.

doesn't that class as something to do with heights? :-k

How about a marathon of some sort? or does that involve too much effort with training and such? (if you need to train lol)

missyburd 29-02-08 04:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rubberduckofdeath (Post 1433450)
People are more likely to sponsor you to do something you don't want to do.

FACT.

like eating creepy crawlies! ...

a paraglide would be cool.

busasean 29-02-08 05:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rubberduckofdeath (Post 1433450)
People are more likely to sponsor you to do something you don't want to do.

FACT.

I dont want to drink my own bodyweight in beer everyday for a month. does that count?

bloody hate heights though. marathon type thing would be an idea as i need to lose 4 stone before i go in october.

Fizzy Fish 29-02-08 05:41 PM

Funnily enough, I was on the original Enduro India (in 1999 I think) which was the inspiration for Simon (who runs Enduro Africa) quitting his job and embarking on this enterprise!

In raising the ?2.5K for that trip, I used a mix of methods:
  • I paid the true trip costs myself (c. ?600 I think)
  • Got a few hundred in sponsorship from family/colleagues/friends
  • My company at the time wouldn't sponsor me, and I had little time to go round a load of companies to try and get cash. However if yours will that would help a lot!
  • I found that it was much easier to get donations in kind, and managed to get all sorts of stuff to raffle. I also managed to get some freebies towards the trip, like an open face lid, free injections from the doctors (don't laugh they get expensive!), and put the money that I saved into my fund too.
  • A big winner was holding a couple of parties for friends - make a big batch of curry, get some beers in and have a ?15 charity donation to come along. A few sterling mates also did the same on my behalf, and this was a real winner in terms of bringing money in.
  • The charity had things like Christmas cards that you could sell, with - didn't raise heaps but it all adds up!
  • Door to door, local press - I wouldn't bother as you get little return for the time you have to put in!
  • You can also claim tax back on donations to charity, so this added a couple of hundred pounds
Hope you have a fab trip btw!!