SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum (http://forums.sv650.org/index.php)
-   SV Talk, Tuning & Tweaking (http://forums.sv650.org/forumdisplay.php?f=111)
-   -   Two Clicks Out (http://forums.sv650.org/showthread.php?t=237567)

daktulos 12-10-20 08:41 PM

Two Clicks Out

YouTube Video
Error: If you cannot see this video, then either YouTube is down or you don't have Flash installed to play it.

Craig380 13-10-20 07:49 AM

Re: Two Clicks Out

The problem I have with Dave Moss videos is that some of his advice / recommendations are completely impractical.

In the SV video he advises an owner to change the fork oil every 3,000 miles. "It's easy, just turn the forks upside down to drain them and put new fluid in." I mean, who in their right mind is going to do that?

daktulos 13-10-20 08:07 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Craig380 (Post 3121024)
The problem I have with Dave Moss videos is that some of his advice / recommendations are completely impractical.

In the SV video he advises an owner to change the fork oil every 3,000 miles. "It's easy, just turn the forks upside down to drain them and put new fluid in." I mean, who in their right mind is going to do that?

I know what you mean, I chuckled at that myself ... I also feel that sometimes he pushes a bit harder on the suspension before adjusting it than after.

embee 13-10-20 08:43 AM

I know it's empirical, but I reckon on around 10k miles for fork oil to begin to lose its properties noticeably (in real world use). For my use that's a practical interval, if you were doing a lot of miles it might be less convenient.
If you're equipped to do it, it really isn't a big job, but not everyone has the facilities. The main thing is to be aware of the issue and deal with it appropriately.
Fork oil is probably the most neglected service item (because of the hassle). I bet there are bikes out there with 50k+ miles which are still on factory fill fork oil, which will be grey stinky sludge by now.

Dave20046 13-10-20 11:10 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Craig380 (Post 3121024)

I thought that. I only flicked through it but he said it before noticing the preload was wrong as well didn't he? He was confronted with non-adjustable suspension bouncing back at a rate he didn't like with unknown springs so wondered if he thought he would just spiel off something the owner could do without saying rip it all out.

DarrenSV650S 13-10-20 12:54 PM

Yeah I stopped watching after that. Load of bollox. Didn't inspire me to believe anything he told that confused looking rider

GeorgeRYoung 13-10-20 01:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DarrenSV650S (Post 3121040)
. . . Load of bollox. . . .

Ah, thank goodness, I thought I was the only one to find it pompous and uninspiring.

Craig380 13-10-20 02:36 PM

This video about the MT-07 is the worst. Because it doesn't have much static sag in the forks, he actually says "If you have an MT-07, point #1: do not ride" (it's at 1m00s in the video).

I mean, I'm sure the guy is an expert and lots of people have benefited from his advice. But coming out with utter b0ll0cks like that just makes him sound like a ****.

https://youtu.be/s91qcAXWKpI

Adam Ef 13-10-20 06:17 PM

He never really says anything solid either. Nothing that anyone else could use as information. There's a lot of "you've got this happening and that causes *insert hand gesture*, so you need to urrr the errmmm and *more hand gestures*" I think he's quite careful in that respect and a lot of what he does is self publicity.

SV650rules 14-10-20 11:46 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Adam Ef (Post 3121056)
He never really says anything solid either. Nothing that anyone else could use as information. There's a lot of "you've got this happening and that causes *insert hand gesture*, so you need to urrr the errmmm and *more hand gestures*" I think he's quite careful in that respect and a lot of what he does is self publicity.

He may have politician genes....