SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum (http://forums.sv650.org/index.php)
-   SV Talk, Tuning & Tweaking (http://forums.sv650.org/forumdisplay.php?f=111)
-   -   Waterless coolant. (http://forums.sv650.org/showthread.php?t=240247)

gadget 17-03-22 05:37 PM

Waterless coolant.

Anyone here tried or using the waterless coolant in their SV? Been reading good reviews about the stuff, it's supposed to be a 'fit n forget' type thing isn't it!? Is it totally compatible with alloys/ metals/rubber/gaskets etc? Any views or personal experiences would be welcome.

squirrel_hunter 17-03-22 09:26 PM

Re: Waterless coolant.

There is a reason its not widely used...

Youtube - The Workshop - Evans

Bibio 18-03-22 01:25 AM

people will buy anything of its hyped up enough. there is nothing wrong with the tried and tested stuff like the red antifreeze out of halfords.

glang 18-03-22 07:14 AM

well nothing wrong except it has to be changed every so often. OK its not a big job but a lot of people dont bother...

Chris_SVS 18-03-22 11:47 AM

Simple fact is, it's less effective overall than 50/50 mixes. Ethylene or Propylene glycol have inferor specific heat capacities on their own.

gadget 18-03-22 07:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by glang (Post 3135806)
well nothing wrong except it has to be changed every so often. OK its not a big job but a lot of people dont bother...

I was under the impression it was a fit n forget type thing??

glang 18-03-22 08:07 PM

ha ha, try to keep up! My comment was about the Halfords red antifreeze that Bibio referred to...

EssEllTwo 18-03-22 09:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by squirrel_hunter (Post 3135800)
There is a reason its not widely used...

Youtube - The Workshop - Evans

Thanks for wasting a couple of hours of my life.. :jocolor:

That was an "interesting" rabbit hole to stick my head in. Lots of pseudo science and lack of knowledge about engines.

gadget 20-03-22 09:32 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by glang (Post 3135824)
ha ha, try to keep up! My comment was about the Halfords red antifreeze that Bibio referred to...

In the immortal words of Homer .. Doh!! My mistake. Well ... the subject of waterless coolant is well n truly open to debate eh. Having further researched it's uses and benefits I can't really justify the expense tbh, it's certainly not the cheapest stuff out there! Just thought I'd get some inside info on the stuff while I was planning a fluid change, in all honesty I don't think I'll be using it when a good quality coolant mix is all I really want/ need.
Thanks to all for opinions and advice.

glang 20-03-22 09:42 AM

yes it might be worth using from new as the initial fill but if replacing existing coolant the procedure is a bit involved and adds to the expense. Also I believe theres normal liquids available now that have a recommended 7 year life so that makes it even more difficult to justify swopping over....