SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum (http://forums.sv650.org/index.php)
-   Stuff Wanted (http://forums.sv650.org/forumdisplay.php?f=114)
-   -   Wanted: Handguards (http://forums.sv650.org/showthread.php?t=156960)

Neeja 02-09-10 07:29 AM

Wanted: Handguards

Looking for something to reduce windblast on the old mitts. Riding 100 miles at 7am in the freezing cold yesterday wasn't much fun, even with heated grips on full whack.

Going to be used on a 99 Hornet. Some people have said that V-strom ones will fit on with minor modifications, so willing to try those, but otherwise just looking for a universal set if someone's got them lying around.

the_lone_wolf 02-09-10 07:33 AM

Re: Wanted: Handguards

If you're man enough to be laughed at you want muffs - on a scale of 0-10 handguards will give you about a 2/3 protection from the cold, heated grips a 5 and muffs a 9, combine all three and I spent all day on a German autobahn in sub zero temps without a problem (until the heated grips failed...)...

tom-k6 02-09-10 07:39 AM

do what ive seen a guy do in birmingham city centre, chop a bucket in half and strap each half over your grips/levers :thumbsup:

Neeja 02-09-10 09:40 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by the_lone_wolf (Post 2358840)
If you're man enough to be laughed at you want muffs - on a scale of 0-10 handguards will give you about a 2/3 protection from the cold, heated grips a 5 and muffs a 9, combine all three and I spent all day on a German autobahn in sub zero temps without a problem (until the heated grips failed...)...

Tried muffs once, hated them. It's not that I was desperately cold the other day, it's just that sitting at progress-making motorway speeds for an hour slowly leeched heat from my hands. I only really need to take the edge off the wind-blast, and a nice big set of hand-guards would do that just fine.

I have debated making my own out of sheet aluminium, but think that being a bit bodge-tastic would be bad for me :D

yorkie_chris 02-09-10 10:14 AM

Milk jugs work!

FG1 02-09-10 10:21 AM

I got round the cold hands problem by getting a heated waistcoat.
As the core is kept warm it is feeding warm blood to the extremeties so they don't feel the cold as much.

_Stretchie_ 02-09-10 10:54 AM

Wonder what they'd look like (or even if you can get them) for a FireBlade

Neeja 02-09-10 12:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by yorkie_chris (Post 2359008)
Milk jugs work!

I'd debated this, but decided that I wasn't prepared to bodge thing *quite* this much just yet :D

Quote:

Originally Posted by Furry Ginger One (Post 2359012)
I got round the cold hands problem by getting a heated waistcoat.
As the core is kept warm it is feeding warm blood to the extremeties so they don't feel the cold as much.

I have a nice warm stomach and legs, just poor circulation in my hands - they get cold sitting around at home relatively often!