SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum (http://forums.sv650.org/index.php)
-   Idle Banter (http://forums.sv650.org/forumdisplay.php?f=116)
-   -   Imperial units (http://forums.sv650.org/showthread.php?t=240375)

Seeker 30-05-22 09:53 AM

Imperial units

In keeping with proposed return to Imperial units by Bozo. My SV does:

3.9 furlongs per fluid ounce, or 39 chains per fluid oz if that helps :)

(my last fill up would be £12 2s 6d in "old" money)

Bibio 30-05-22 10:35 AM

Re: Imperial units

but you also have to remember that an old pound was 240 new pennies so the exchange rate would mean your fuel is even cheaper... :-)

bozo can get stuffed, things are just right the way they are. remember when they changed to the metric system a ha'penney chew was a new half pence so you only got one instead of two (with conversion). it was the same with bread and other daily goods, they stayed the same price except you only got 100 pennies. biggest rip off the UK has ever seen.

can you imagine the youngsters trying to work things out.....

redtrummy 30-05-22 11:36 AM

can you imagine the youngsters trying to work things out....

What about me?

embee 30-05-22 12:35 PM

****s.

You can fill in whatever 4 letter word you wish.

Oh look, another dead cat ............

Ruffy 30-05-22 06:35 PM

Oh dear! What a sad indictment on the government and the media when this sort of thing gets picked up as important.

Imperial units were never banned. Nor do I think they're part of cultural identity (unless we really do want to reinforce being seen as anachronistic, idiotic, luddites). I'm happy with our current blended system.

IMHO, measuring in imperial, as opposed to any other measuring system, doesn't change anything except the numbers. Sometimes it can be helpful, sometimes less so, but more often that not it's just what you're used to guides the choice. (The only thing I've never really got my head around is pre-decimal currency - before my time but I'm sure it could be gotten used to if absolutely necessary.:smt101)

Now if we want to get into a wider discussion about precision and accuracy ...

DJ123 30-05-22 06:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ruffy (Post 3136889)
Oh dear! What a sad indictment on the government and the media when this sort of thing gets picked up as important.

not picked up by the Media as important. Deliberately focussed on to distract the public from the 5hit show that's ongoing in No10.
Remember the press isn't free, and doesn't advertise news - it only exists to manipulate the masses with the stories they choose.

johnnyrod 30-05-22 08:40 PM

Dj beat me to the punch, it's BS, Boris doesn't care less if it happens or not. Headlines and facts are poor bedfellows.

Ruffy 30-05-22 09:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DJ123 (Post 3136890)
not picked up by the Media as important. Deliberately focussed on to distract the public from the 5hit show that's ongoing in No10.
Remember the press isn't free, and doesn't advertise news - it only exists to manipulate the masses with the stories they choose.

Quote:

Originally Posted by johnnyrod (Post 3136891)
Dj beat me to the punch, it's BS, Boris doesn't care less if it happens or not. Headlines and facts are poor bedfellows.

I think we're agreeing.:) I agree the media wouldn't waste print on things that don't exert influence - I realise the importance is more about the ability to influence than the topic itself (which I also agree in this case should be a nothing story).

But the corollary of that is that it means there are a significant number of people for whom this topic does really seem to matter - it's hard to whip up a frenzy when everyone just goes "meh!" and moves on to something truly more deserving of attention.

(BTW, I also recognise the irony in me writing that and my posts here.:roll:)

DJ123 31-05-22 04:34 PM

They've clearly got on fine the last few decades without it, why the need for change now? Or maybe its to help with the cost of living crisis. As no one will have a clue of the capacity, weight, or volume of anything it'll appear cheaper?

Adam Ef 31-05-22 05:26 PM

I weigh 11 stone. My local pub is a mile away and sells pints. Newborn children are measured in pounds and ounces. My son rides a bike with 26 inch tyres. Bring back what now?