SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum (http://forums.sv650.org/index.php)
-   Bikes - Talk & Issues (http://forums.sv650.org/forumdisplay.php?f=129)
-   -   Honda CB750 Clutch Help (http://forums.sv650.org/showthread.php?t=146518)

vardypeeps 11-02-10 12:35 PM

Honda CB750 Clutch Help

Hello Everyone.

Just got a question.
I'm not sure how many people will know but a most Honda clutches vary from the Suzuki kind (there a bit more complicated) and I'm after some tips.

My clutch slips at the moment and I have a nice new set of friction and steel plates to put in.
Now here's the hard bit. I need to undo the clutch center locknut and there is no where for me to use the mole grip type clutch holding tool as the whole basket comes off as one piece i.e. Basket, Plates & Hub.

I need to get enough fricton on the clutch to hold it whilst I crack the locknut.
I've thought about loosening the clutch springs off and putting on some washers so there is more tension there and putting into 5th gear & jamming the brake on but does anyone have any other ideas?

Sorry this is a bit lenghty but just trying to give all the info I can.

Ta in advance.

Rob :D

philbut 11-02-10 12:41 PM

Re: Honda CB750 Clutch Help

I've never done a Honda clutch chap, but wouldn't first gear be better? Also, you can stick a chunky block of wood between the swing arm and wheel spoke so that it can't turn - I use this method when removing the front sproket. I don't know if this method will work with the clutch so just an idea...

vardypeeps 11-02-10 12:45 PM

Cheers mate.
I though 1st gear would be better too! My Clymer manual when I did the front sprocket said 5th gear? I thought it was strange but managed to do that sat on the bike holding the brake in 5th (Top Gear).

Just wondering if there are any more tricks of the trade for the Honda?

Thanks,

plowsie 11-02-10 12:49 PM

Rictus has/had one of these, he'll be your man.

tj2 11-02-10 02:31 PM

Impact driver and an accurate hammer

Spanner Man 12-02-10 07:37 AM

Good morning all.

Clutch centre nuts can be a pain, if it wont undo using the bike in gear trick, have a new nut to hand, & with the bike in gear, apply a little 'percussive adjustment' to the old nut using a cold chisel & hammer. Often the 'shock' will easily loosen a seemingly tight nut.
Be careful you don't slip, or you may well end up needing a new clutch centre.

Cheers.

P.S. I cheat, for I have an air driven impact wrench:D

punyXpress 12-02-10 10:51 AM

Just a thought - you're not using fully synthetic oil are you ?

tj2 12-02-10 02:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Spanner Man (Post 2179532)
Good morning all.

P.S. I cheat, for I have an air driven impact wrench:D

what is cheating about that????

I would use 1 too