SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum (http://forums.sv650.org/index.php)
-   Bikes - Talk & Issues (http://forums.sv650.org/forumdisplay.php?f=129)
-   -   Broken down with a dead battery (http://forums.sv650.org/showthread.php?t=240952)

garynortheast 10-10-23 10:52 AM

Broken down with a dead battery

Battery seems to have died and dumped me several miles from home. A friend is coming with a trailer to pick me up.

I'll have to check that it's not the alternator or RR when I get home, but I'm pretty sure it's just the battery. Bike ran perfectly last time I rode it a short while back, but when I went to start it yesterday the battery was totally flat, not even any dash lights. I hooked it up to the charger and charged it for 6 or 7 hours but it wouldn't show a green on the charger. Hooked it up again this morning for another hour and still no green. It did have enough in it however to start the bike so I thought (foolishly!) that I'd give it a run.

Now sat on the side of the road about 12 miles from home waiting for my friend with the trailer. ��

admin 10-10-23 11:19 AM

Re: Broken down with a dead battery

How annoying. I had a battery do that to me many years ago in a car. Hope your pick up arrives soon.

Sent from my moto g(50) using Tapatalk

garynortheast 10-10-23 11:27 AM

He's just on his way now John. I ordered a new battery this morning. I should've waited till it arrives tomorrow before going out on the bike. ��

glang 10-10-23 12:26 PM

Please let us know your method for proving where the fault lies as for many of us its not easy to distinguish between a battery thats just died from old age or has been cooked by a faulty regulator - then its so easy to knacker a new battery as well!

Craig380 10-10-23 12:27 PM

Fingers crossed it's just the battery, Gary. Sounds like a cell might have died.

admin 10-10-23 12:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by glang (Post 3141899)
Please let us know your method for proving where the fault lies as for many of us its not easy to distinguish between a battery thats just died from old age or has been cooked by a faulty regulator - then its so easy to knacker a new battery as well!

You might find this useful.
https://www.aberdeenbikers.co.uk/mot...gnosis-checks/
It helped me with the VFR. I also installed a cheap voltmeter.

Sent from my SM-T510 using Tapatalk

garynortheast 11-10-23 08:34 AM

Just discovered that it was only April of this year when I replaced the previous battery. Bought it from Tayna Batteries, an Enduroline with a two year warranty, so I'm now going to get in touch with them to see what they are going to do about it.

Craig380 11-10-23 09:00 AM

Worth a try. What was it showing on a voltmeter when you got it home?

(although voltage in itself does not show the true condition, I had a no-brand Chinese battery in my old K6 pointy that showed 12.7V key off but would not turn the starter more than once when cold)

admin 11-10-23 10:53 AM

I had a brand new battery from Eurobat a couple of years ago. It would only hold it's charge for a couple of days so I took it back. Eurobat were dubious about my claims and sent it off for testing. Luckily I still had the old battery. They did eventually give me a new battery after tests confirmed it was duff.

Sent from my SM-T510 using Tapatalk

garynortheast 11-10-23 12:15 PM

Tayna have been very helpful. They've arranged a courier to come and collect it. They'll test it and once confirmed faulty I'll get a refund.

Did a voltage reading earlier this morning and it at 11.5V.

It's now packed and ready to go.