SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum (http://forums.sv650.org/index.php)
-   SV Talk, Tuning & Tweaking (http://forums.sv650.org/forumdisplay.php?f=111)
-   -   SV 650 Cafe Racer Old School (http://forums.sv650.org/showthread.php?t=239982)

gt alex 15-10-21 10:46 AM

SV 650 Cafe Racer Old School

4 Attachment(s)
I was looking for a motorcycle to build into a cafe racer. My job takes me to many automotive workshops and after discussing my plans I was offered this SV650 for $500.
It wasn't starting (rusted choke cable). noise from front hub and leaking fork seals.
It wasn't a style I had thought about but upon thinking about it a doing a few sketches I went for it.
The plan is to build a classic style cafe racer with this "modern" bike.
My experience is more with vintage bikes e.g. xs650.
I fixed it up for road worthy without any problems except the clutch needed sorting.
My first ride on the sv all I can say is wow. it is so good compared to the bikes I had ridden.
Its still undergoing transformation I am currently making a combined tank/air box to top off my single carb conversion and the Dunstall style fairing has arrived today.
The bike has so many mods feel free to ask and I will tell what's been done

gt alex 16-10-21 07:27 AM

Re: SV 650 Cafe Racer Old School

1 Attachment(s)
Since I had been doing some plumbing using silicone sealant I didn't want to handle painted parts so today I decided to do removal of parts in preparation and sit the main fairing bracket on despite being made for another bike.
At first glance it appears to be about the correct height but need setting forward a bit which is goo as I need change the mounting to go over the brake lines not under.

gt alex 17-10-21 08:56 AM

1 Attachment(s)
another picture

gt alex 25-10-21 06:46 AM

what do others think this position seems good but I need drop the bars below the top clamp?

gt alex 26-10-21 06:11 AM

Today I moved the clip-on bars to the underside of the top clamp making the bar ends too low for me especially with the seating position 40mm further back due to the tank I'm building. But I had a "cunning plan" because I made the handle bar tubes from a recycled Harley drag bar, I new using the slight bend in the drag bar would give a huge amount of adjustment by rotating them and that has saved the day.

It can be seen buy the bar end mirror position how rotating the bar has raised the grip to approximately the same high as before.

gt alex 27-10-21 10:43 AM

1 Attachment(s)
I adjusted the other bar to be the same and did some more welding on the tank. Unfortunately the wind picked up and the gas ran out so I didn't get as much done as planned, but for only the 3rd time tig welding I'm happy and learning as I go.

Geodude 28-10-21 06:05 AM

Looks good to me but then i'm hardly qualified to comment and i struggle with colouring in books :D Thanks for sharing with us :cool:

manxgully 10-04-22 03:23 PM

can i ask where you have moved your battery to???

redtrummy 10-04-22 05:47 PM

Nice job but being on the small butt size that seat looks hard!

gt alex 10-04-22 11:50 PM

yes it's a lithium battery under the hump. if you look at my first post picture of the bike on the dyno you can see the battery position. It feels like a empty plastic box it's so light.