SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum (http://forums.sv650.org/index.php)
-   Bikes - Talk & Issues (http://forums.sv650.org/forumdisplay.php?f=129)
-   -   New leathers breaking them in (http://forums.sv650.org/showthread.php?t=151056)

KnightRider 04-05-10 11:16 AM

New leathers breaking them in

Just a quickie. I have purchased some new leathers and leather boots and as expected they are quite stiff. Apart from wearing them for large distances to break them in I am wondering if there are any tricks to accelerating the process of loosening them up a bit.

I have found the following on the web, if you have personal experience of doing these or anything else to break them in please let me know what you would recommend.

1. soak leathers in warm water and go for a long ride to dry them to your body (guess using leather conditioner after would probably be a good idea)
2. put in tumble dryer with no heat and a couple of shoes
3. wear them to bed (not sure how well I will sleep in them though)

Any other ideas.

Jon

maviczap 04-05-10 11:47 AM

Re: New leathers breaking them in

Not 1 & 2 fo certain

No 3 is ok, just wear them round the house. Treat them with some leather food, will help.

But wearing them on the bike in warm weather is the only real way I know

Bluefish 04-05-10 11:49 AM

I wouldn't do 1 and 2 in fact I wouldn't do 3 either, I would give them once over with some leather cleaner/ feeder, may make them slippy though, basically just wear them as much as possible.

Sosha 04-05-10 12:04 PM

Wear them. that is all. Supposed to stretch/ armour bed in etc to you. Suppose you could make a papermache body cast - but other than that...

dizzyblonde 04-05-10 12:06 PM

gah, none of the above

Old school, either drag em behind yer bike or pee on emm......oo yeah the smell of smelly wee following you round nice!!

Just ride in them, or wear them round the house, bending and stretching in them.

TazDaz 04-05-10 12:21 PM

Go for a jog in them! :)

TheRamJam 04-05-10 02:48 PM

Better still

Go to the Sauna in them fully geared up that way you can test your visor too :eek:

missyburd 04-05-10 08:03 PM

i need to do this with a jacket of mine, nips me a bit atm, need to start wearing it about the house so the body warmth softens it a little...

nik_nunez 04-05-10 08:13 PM

wear them and do some exercise to stretch them, star jumps or something daft that moves you about, p.s. make sure no one has a camera about when you are doing this in full leathers

metalhead19 04-05-10 10:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by nik_nunez (Post 2260545)
wear them and do some exercise to stretch them, star jumps or something daft that moves you about, p.s. make sure no one has a camera about when you are doing this in full leathers

Thats no fun.....centre of the high street all the way