SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum (http://forums.sv650.org/index.php)
-   Idle Banter (http://forums.sv650.org/forumdisplay.php?f=116)
-   -   insurance oddity (http://forums.sv650.org/showthread.php?t=209424)

Wideboy 23-04-14 02:52 PM

insurance oddity

I took out a new policy on my van at the beginning of the month and just I've received an email from them asking me to confirm in writing where the van has been kept from when I bought it to when I took out the policy with them. Why?

Not that I have anything to hide but why is it any of their business? Its been kept in three different locations throughout my old policy (a different company) all of which the old company were made aware of.

I don't see why I should have to submit that information.

Tomor 23-04-14 03:01 PM

Re: insurance oddity

Ask them why it is any use to them where you kept it before. They will probably use it to try and bump up your premium or something, so tread wisely.

Spank86 23-04-14 03:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Wideboy (Post 2949918)
I took out a new policy on my van at the being of the month and just I've received an email from them asking me to confirm in writing where the van has been kept from when I bought it to when I took out the policy with them. Why?

Not that I have anything to hide but why is it any of their business? Its been kept in three different locations throughout my old policy (a different company) all of which the old company were made aware of.

I don't see why I should have to submit that information.

I think it's a continuous insurance thing.

Just send them a letter back saying "France"

TamSV 23-04-14 03:36 PM

Strange.

Did you request a quote with the old (maybe higher rated) garaging address in the recent past?

Some insurers weed through the old quotes looking for differences - they can identify a fair bit of application fraud that way.

Wideboy 23-04-14 07:32 PM

Not that I can recall. Didn't get in until 7 so I'll fire off an email to them instead of ringing.

they've said:

Please confirm in writing where the above vehicle has been kept since the date of purchase "date" to the "date", being the date that the policy started through us.

the purchase date is wrong as well which I didn't declare to them in the first place.

Spank86 23-04-14 07:45 PM

I assume you have had it insured since you bought it?

Wideboy 23-04-14 08:20 PM

yep, I bought it a month before the date they're claiming I bought it on.

PyroUK 23-04-14 08:27 PM

insurance oddity

Was it a legit purchase from a semi reputable source? As opposed to off some pikey in a supermarket car park for £200

Wideboy 23-04-14 09:37 PM

yeah. All numbers checked out and no number's had been tampered with, I check everything I purchase thoroughly. Plus being a van I would have been done by now if it was nicked.

PyroUK 23-04-14 09:53 PM

insurance oddity

Hmmm that is odd then.

Only things I can think of would be:
Possibly stolen;
Possibly used in a crime and they want to see if it was this van or it's been cloned;
Possibility they think it hasn't been continuously insured (maybe pinged by ANPR or something so the police checked it); or
A complete load of spherical security devices.

Who is it through?