View Single Post
Old 07-01-19, 04:05 PM   #8
Adam Ef
Mega Poster

Default Re: Adding rear LED strip light

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bibio View Post
again.. why?

having a top box and rack fitted will not obscure the rear facing visibility of the lights. your just making problems for yourself and wasting money you dont need to.

do you think its going to stop some moron cage driver running up the back of you... its not... nothing will.

Having bags attached on the sides too will do though.

I've been really surprised and worried by how invisible a few people on bikes have been on the motorway at night recently when I've been driving. I'm aware of looking out for people on two wheels, whereas a lot of people are oblivious and won't be looking at all.

I don't ride much at night out of choice and a lot of that is down to worries about visibility in the dark. I've been knocked off at night before. It hurt. Obscuring the one remaining bit of rear visibility at night will definitely put me off even more. I'd like to be able to use the bike for some visiting and longer trips this year and some of that will involve night riding. I'd like to make myself more visible if possible. If it only costs a few quid for an led strip and some reflective tape on the top box then that's good by me.

I know that there are plenty of other things to do with riding defensively and positioning etc and the lights are just an addition to everything else. I'm not expecting them to be a failsafe defence shield around me.

+ Something that might not be so cheap is auxialliary lights for the front. I'm considering those too at some point, or bulb upgrades as I've always found the SV front lights really lacking, even with good nightbreaker bulbs in. Looking into that though and it'll cost more than a few quid. So not happening any time soon.
Adam Ef is offline   Reply With Quote