View Single Post
Old 11-09-20, 10:23 AM   #9
Dave20046
Mega Poster

Default Re: 2020 Panigale vs K5 GSXR

SV650rules - get what you're saying about the heat , and too hot to do anything. I can definitely imagine that in Oz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seeker View Post
I had always wanted to live there I don't know whether it was because of all the US bike mags I would read (most SoCal based) or the late 60s/70s music or the innovation - it seemed exciting to me. When I left the RAF, I applied for a job as a field engineer - 6 months in UK factory followed by transfer to SoCal. The company reneged on that but a US company advertised for a field engineer on the same product (high end drum scanners) - they sponsored me and my wife. I ended up working for Scitex, Creo and then Kodak.
Why did I come back after 23 years? I lost my job in financial crash and my Dad developed dementia. My kids are American so they could sponsor me to go back although Trump wants to stop that (chain migration) but the appeal for me to return has waned. My social security payment (pension) comes from the US so Trump's threats to defund it is a bit worrying. It's predicted to run out of money in 20 years anyway since successive administrations have been robbing the kitty.

My favourite ride would be to Lake Elsinore, here's my 919 (900 Hornet) at "The Lookout" (cafe and rider meeting point)

This picture is about 2000 ft above the lake, then onto Perris, Hemet which were in the desert with temps in the low 100°s (Summer) and then climb up into the San Jacinto mountains to Idyllwild for breakfast (5400 feet - much cooler). Ride along the mountain ridge (Palm Springs was on the other side) and back towards San Diego and home in Lake Forest (about 200 miles total).

Another great ride was to the Mt Palomar telescope, very twisty mountain road but the locals were tired of bikes and at one point oiled the road (there were arrests). I lost interest after that!

That looks amazing. I've not been to america but spent time in Canada, I liked the distinct seasons - i.e pretty much guaranteed belting days in the summer, great for riding (though the roads are a little straight) and crisp in Autumn. Less said about winter the better. I can get a bit annoyed with the grey drizzly blur that spans the UK for all but 3 (not usually consecutive) weeks in 'summer'...I think being cooped up in lockdown is making me want to get outside of the UK at probably the worst time in history.

Last edited by Dave20046; 11-09-20 at 10:25 AM.
Dave20046 is offline   Reply With Quote