View Single Post
Old 03-11-20, 09:59 AM   #4
Seeker
Mega Poster

Default Re: I have a theory!

Quote:
Originally Posted by keith_d View Post
I don't have one of these, so feel free to take my comments with a pinch (or bucket) of salt.

I don't think changing the volume will make as much difference as you think. The humidifier duty cycle depends on the amount of water vapour entering the enclosure, not the volume inside.

The first place I would look is the floor. If it's a concrete floor I would cover it with heavy polythene sheet. Concrete (and brick) is porous enough to allow a lot of water through.

Next look at the joints. Make sure they're doubled over and taped/welded securely.

The final step is to try and reduce the surface area since the total amount of water vapour passing _through_ the walls depends on the surface area.

Just my thoughts,

Keith.
Thanks for the input. The garage floor perimeter has been treated with a PVA by the builder. I then used a liquid damp proof membrane around the edges extending about 18 inches from the walls. After that a 2 part polyurethane was applied to the whole floor and it now has raised plastic tiles fitted. I think the floor is ok. It's a corrugated roof and I've filled the gaps in the corrugation but I'm not happy with that so I've ordered some (hopefully) better fitting foam.
I haven't painted the walls but I'm thinking that may be a good idea using a concrete sealer or maybe insulate them.

The garage is a Lidget Compton prefab and I was surprised by how many gaps there between walls and roof which I've been filling as I go along.

The dehumidifier hasn't increased my energy bill dramatically but I'm always interested in reducing costs, especially since I'll have the time with a month of no riding imminent.