Thread: Whitby
View Single Post
Old 14-08-22, 10:09 AM   #1
Seeker
Mega Poster

Default Whitby

On Thursday I rode to Whitby, it's about 95 miles each way and gave me my first ever look at the York moors which I hadn't seen before. My mental image was of a bigger version of the Lincs Wolds but it was much more impressive with each hill you crested the vista expanded before you. Naturally I didn't take any pictures

I rode past Fylingdales and would have loved to look inside - they use one of the flat radars built like a modern day pyramid. I don't think guided tours were available.

I'm in the same BBC region as Whitby so I thought I knew what it was like but the reality proved much better.

I needed to "spend a penny" - it cost 40p! I think that's considerably more than the inflation rate. Weirdly, I bought two ice creams later and checked with the vendor that it would cost £6 and laid out the money. He handed me 40p change and when I queried it, he said his mistake but keep it. I guess that refunded my loo visit.

Since my SV is off the road awaiting head bearings, I took the Yam. I hadn't realised how much difference the flyscreen makes until I didn't have one. We stopped at Fimber Park (near Wetwang - yes, a real place) for- homemade egg custard and shoot the breeze with many other bikers.

Harvest time! There were a lot of tractors which may account for my fuel consumption - 85 mpg and I thought the SV was economical.

We didn't visit the abbey which was the inspiration for Bram Stoker's Dracula story, you can see the ruins on the far headland. I imagine on cold, foggy night it would be spooky.