View Single Post
Old 15-08-22, 06:50 PM   #1133
Ruffy

Default Re: The random rideout pictures thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarrenSV650S View Post
Also found some new pylons going up near Schiehallion. Probably not that interesting to most, but I'm a sparky so found it quite interesting
This is right up my street too, so there's at least one appreciative viewer! (I spent 15 years in the Electricity Supply Industry dealing with this sort of stuff, though I moved on to work elsewhere a few years ago.)

Quote:
The cable was suprisingly light
I'm also surprised to see only a twin conductor system - I'd guess at 500mm2 csa each, all aluminium conductor. Larger (greater capacity) bundles are commonplace now

Quote:
The scaffold and net is presumably to catch the cable if it falls onto the road! Bit scary to think of, especially since it was live. I could hear it buzzing underneath.
Two electrical circuits on each tower, 3 conductors each side per circuit - one circuit will usually remain live whilst the other is being replaced. Yes, the net is to stop a conductor unexpectedly falling onto the road. The risk of falling conductor is more from the one being removed or installed, all pulled under tension, but not not energised you'll be pleased to hear!

I can't see running blocks/pulleys on the towers and it all looks put together, tensioned and finished ok, so the stuff on the ground is most likely the old conductor that's been dropped, now waiting for proper clear up.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luckypants View Post
Unusual to see new pylons going up. Is there new windfarm activity around there?
Quote:
Not that I know of, but there could well be. Not sure of the route of the replacement ones
From a quick browse of the SSEN website, it appears to be reconfiguration of line entries for the new Kinardochy substation that's under construction nearby. (If I were a guessing man I'd say you could see it just in the distance of Darren's 3rd picture - the one with scaffold & bike.)

Reading the blurb, the new substation is to manage power flow effects arising from a number of factors - connections of generation incl. windfarms elsewhere, general power flow pattern change, new switching and reactive power devices to maximise capacity of lines etc.

There's some other progress pics on the SSEN project page too:

https://www.ssen-transmission.co.uk/...hy-substation/
Ruffy is offline   Reply With Quote