View Single Post
Old 20-11-20, 10:18 AM   #43
SV650rules
Mega Poster

Default Re: Electric Vehicles

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave20046 View Post
I was surprised the batteries don't degrade too fast (if looked after), guess I shouldn;t be at the price...it's a whole different kettle of c0cks to a iphone or laptop that I'm basing experience on. Fast charge does seem to be a nono still though. It's going to be the new 'one lady owner' - 'one laid back git who never needed to get anywhere quick'.
The BEV batteries are same technology as an i-phone or samsung battery - just bigger. When you get a new BEV the computer limits the charging and discharging of battery to 80% and 30%, this is like having a 50 litre fuel tank on a car and not being able to fill it more than 40 litres and not being able to use the last 15 litres. This is done to protect the battery ( so the car is actually lugging around a battery that is only half used, and unlike a fuel tank a battery does not get lighter as the fuel gets used ).

As the battery ages the limits are increased to say ( maybe 12 months ) to 85% and 25% in order to use more of the degrading battery to preserve range. When it come to range that is a whole difference between what makers claim and what you can achieve. Take a BEV on the motorway and you get 60% of claimed range, unless you want to go everywhere at 50mph and live in a flat area like Norfolk. Fast charging is also a no-no - I read of a bloke who actually sued Nissan - he had waited for the new larger capacity Leaf to go on sale - a claimed 235 miles and fast charge from empty ( by which they mean 30% ) to 80% ( by which they mean full ) in about 90 minutes. he found that he never got more than 150miles range and the control system on the car would not allow more than 1 fast charge per day - so on his trip from Yorkshire to Cornwall he was stuck on motorway services for hours while his car 'slow charged'.... A trip that would take 6 hours in an ICE car took him all day, most of it spent on motorway services. Anyone with a boat, caravan or anything else that needs towing should avoid BEV, they 'don't do towing' - the battery gets flattened quicker than a hedgehog on a motorway.

As for one lady owner, if the battery is left hooked up for too long not being used it damages it, if the battery is left in a discharged state for too long it damages it... there are a lot of things makers try to hide when advertising electric cars, and so does the government in their headlong rush to de-carbonise UK ( even though we produce less than 1.5% of worldwide emissions ) - the main result of our rush to de-carbonise is to drive jobs offshore, to places that are not as silly as we are ( Germany was building coal fired power stations until very recently and China never stopped building them ). You cannot run a country when you rely on fans on sticks for your electrical power.

Courage is resistance to fear, mastery of fear, not absence of fear - Mark Twain

Last edited by SV650rules; 20-11-20 at 10:23 AM.
SV650rules is offline   Reply With Quote