View Single Post
Old 20-11-20, 02:48 PM   #47
Dave20046
Mega Poster

Default Re: Electric Vehicles

Quote:
Originally Posted by SV650rules View Post
The limits are still imposed by battery manufacturers when battery fitted to a car or other vehicle, the battery chemistry is still the same whether a battery is in a phone or a car. The 80/20 rule is imposed by the cars charging control computer and are not visible to the owner, when it says 100% on the screen in the car it is not 100%, and the car will stop moving at 20%, not just show a warning light - Tesla remotely unlocked the minimum charge limit on their cars during the last hurricane in USA to allow drivers to go further. When Top Gear tested a Tesla the car stopped at roadside and Jeremy Clarkson called dealer to tell them to come with a tow truck - a bloke turned up with a laptop and 'unlocked' last 20% of battery so the car could limp to a charge station.

Oh and another thing, not only can you not tow with an electric car, you cannot tow an electric car either, there is no neutral position in transmission and you can damage motors , electronics and battery if you try to tow it like a normal vehicle. So you will need a flatbed trailer type tow truck ££££££££'s
I'm now an expert after watching 3 youtube videos and it sounds as though they have cooling technology in the cars that don't appear in iphones etc. That rings true with my own experiences of failing iphones after getting extremely hot.
The statistics cited in the videos directly linked hot batteries to prematurely aged batteries. If the batteries genuinely do more often than not last nigh on a decade (and are still usable in that lifetime) I'm a bit less worried about them on that front.

Other than that I have nothing to add