View Single Post
Old 21-07-05, 10:24 AM   #6
Aurora

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aurora
Not so much a memory, but hubby is currently restoring a FS1E for our daughter who turns 16 in May.

http://www.bikersoracle.com/vfr/foru...ad.php?t=41287

All we've currently got is a pile of bits, all been dis-assembled ready for powder coating, re-spraying. Hubby has also been receiving an awful lot of deliveries in the past few weeks, you know, rack, petrol tank etc

Will post piccis when its completed.

BTW. I wasn't allowed a moped Parents gave me a Yamaha Passola - but it did get me from A to B an awful lot quicker than walking.
FS1E now up and running, daughter passed her CBT and is out on the road today

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hubby
Couple more pics of my winter project.

For those that remember , yes it is what it looks like - a 1973 FS1e in Candy Gold with working pedal gear, drum brakes and a whopping 6 litre petrol tank.

For those that don't remember, are you sitting comfortably? In the dim and distant past, before galaxies that are far, far away, before unleaded petrol, playstations, PCs or even digital watches, this is what the lucky 16 year olds got to ride. A 50cc sports moped, 7bhp with drum brakes and a cable clutch. Being a 2-stroke it ran a petrol/oil mix, oil from a shot machine on the garage forecourt, petrol was fully leaded 2-star. We could get over 50 mph on our 'sixteener specials' , the only performance mods were to take a bit of felt off the exhaust baffles and fit ace bars to get lower on the tank. Manual choke, four gears, all four down, neutral at the top, indicator switch on the right. And the whole thing ran on 6-volt electrics provided by a magneto, one coil for the ignition, one for charging the battery - and the lights were AC unrectified straight off the coil. Points, condenser, stupid metal spark plug cap that was chucked straight away 'cos it shorted in the rain. 1.75 inch rim on the rear and dreadful Yokohama tyres, made from plastic ( at least it seemed like it in the rain) and the front one was radial ribbed!

You don't know your born today. .