View Single Post
Old 09-10-21, 05:58 PM   #3
Tigernut

Default Re: Sticky choke lever

Thanks for your reply. I did stuff paper towels into the carb / head stubs as soon as it was possible to do so, and only took them out at the last moment. I also checked the the inlet valves on the front cylinder were closed, so at least I could get anything ferrous out with a magnet. Still a bit anxious though!

The cables LOOK ok externally. Everything does actually. It's only done just over 9000 miles and looks to have been stored in the dry, but the cable adjusters are between very stiff and completely immovable without what seems like excessive force. I've applied some PB Baster to the threaded area so I hope that will enable me to move the adjuster tomorrow. I wonder whether the fact that these bikes are so reliable can work against them sometimes, ie: owners never need to touch adjusters etc, which allows them to seize up?

I tried the choke lever on a friend's SV (nearly 60,000 miles and very neglected, and reliable as clockwork). Half the movement on his is just taking up the slack. When the lever has to actually shift the cables, it's about as stiff as mine, so maybe I needn't worry about it, I hope!
Tigernut is offline   Reply With Quote