View Single Post
Old 18-09-22, 05:03 PM   #1
Seeker
Mega Poster

Default Yamaha conundrum

I am having fitted K-Tech cartridge inserts for my Yam's front forks. I removed the stanchions without any problems but as I drop off to sleep I started thinking about how the headlamp is held on.

It is held by "ears" shown above (item #5), but item #6 (O-rings) are not held in place so when I go to re-insert the stanchion into the lower triple clamp the O ring will be pushed out of position. I assume they are for anti-rattle purposes.

My current thought is to push the stanchion into the lower triple clamp so it just enters the "ear" and then start to push the O ring down using a piece of wire/wood/cardboard tube and use successive iterations until the stanchion is near the top triple clamp. It means the O ring would never be in its correct lower position, although I don't think that matters too much.

The ear can be moved up/down slightly - about the thickness of the O ring, if it moved a little more it might be possible to physically hold it. I did try and pull the O ring to the outside of the ear but that didn't work.

My off-the-wall idea would be to try and put 2 or 3 loops of dental floss to anchor the O ring but whilst it sounds great in my head, I suspect reality might want a word.

Anyway, the the suspension guy isn't fitting the inserts till Wednesday so I've got time to think more. Any suggestions welcome. (for £60 the suspension guy would have stripped the stanchions off the bike for me, which now sounds like good value, although it wasn't clear if it was another £60 to refit).

The 2022 Service manual isn't available so I couldn't get any tips from that and, of course, the 2022 model is different from earlier models in this area. Having said that, the 2016 service manual that I have is a little vague on the finer details of everything I've checked so far