View Single Post
Old 26-06-22, 11:07 AM   #3
Adam Ef
Mega Poster

Default Re: Any Sourdough bakers out there?

I used to make a lot. Less so since we moved to a house with limited kitchen space. One thing I found over the few years was that the lazier I got the better the bread got. I now use a no knead method and a casserole dish. I mix ingredients, fairly wet to start as it firms up as it sits and then pull up the edges and stretch them an push down into the middle rotating the mixing bowl. Only about 8 stretches done a couple of times with half hour between. Then I throw it in a floured casserole with the lid on and leave it for ages to prove depending on time of year and how active the starter was. Then when it's time to cook, oven cranked up as high as it will go and lid on the casserole and blast it for half an hour. Turn it out of the casserole and onto the oven shelf to crisp up for another 15 mins or so with the oven on lower heat.
Writing this makes it sound like a lot but there's really not much involvement. The less interfering and kneading I've done the better the result. Flour and water can do a lot of autolysing left sitting on it's own. People often mistake the result of that for the hard work kneading they've put in.

Last edited by Adam Ef; 26-06-22 at 11:08 AM.
Adam Ef is offline   Reply With Quote