Thread: The Veg Plot.
View Single Post
Old 13-04-20, 12:22 PM   #38
Sir Trev
Mega Poster

Default Re: The Veg Plot.

I sowed some rhubarb seeds a week or so ago in the greenhouse and they're now showing through. We inherited an overgrown crown when we moved in but something clearly go to it as it suddenly died off last year and has not come up this spring, hence sowing more.

I do have raised beds but only with 8x1 boards from the builders merchant. Enough to improve drainage and let me add in a few barrow loads of compost each year. I have six 10ft x 4ft beds so plenty of options for crop rotation.

The good drainage does however mean the top layer can be a bit dry and friable sometimes so beetroot never germinates very well. As a trial I sowed some in newspaper pots in the greenhouse and they're showing through now too so I may keep doing that from now on before transplanting out when established.

The biggest issue I have though is the local cats. Since we lost our black lab Jackie three years ago they now strut around the place. They also use my raised beds as giant litter trays so I have to go out every evening and wet them down to dissuade them. Doesn't always work...