Thread: Arai helmets
View Single Post
Old 23-01-23, 08:01 AM   #1
Seeker
Mega Poster

Default Arai helmets

I've been using an Arai Axces3 helmet for a while and like it so when I wanted to get a second (better?) helmet I went for another Arai: the ChaserX.

The ChaserX was everything the Axces3 was not - it was uncomfortable after 30 minutes (headache inducing), so I ended up spending more money (£150) for the various optional padding thicknesses for cheeks and crown (the padding at the inside top of the helmet) which helped enormously although the Axces3 is still more comfortable (and discontinued).

This hasn't cured my biggest complaint though - opening the visor.

This is the visor latch that must be flicked down to allow the visor to be lifted and I simply cannot do it whilst wearing gloves - without gloves, no problem. The latch aligns with the edge of the visor and when you pull it down it lifts a hole in the visor over a lip on the helmet. It would be an understatement to call it "fiddly" but I've solved the problem by removing it!
I hadn't realised how many times I lifted the visor when riding until I couldn't do it!

As yet, I haven't encountered any issues with turning my head and having the airflow lift the visor but it's a risk.

Sadly, Arai seem to be introducing this arrangement over all their models so if you're in the market for an Arai and want to try one, make sure you wear gloves to see if you can work the visor latch.