View Single Post
Old 26-11-17, 07:36 PM   #1
slaked

Default Broken Radiator Bolt - SV650 1999

Instead of going to the garage I thought this time I'll change the oil, oil filter, air filter and spark plugs myself. The final part was the front spark plug. What a ****ing game that was. I read all over the place that apparently you remove a couple of bolts and the horn and abracadabra the radiator magically pivots forward. Well I must have done something wrong because it pivoted forward about 2 inches. In the end I removed the fan from behind the radiator and the top two radiator bolts so I could move the whole thing down and out of the way.

Anyway I'm rambling now. I was putting the final bolt back in and as I turned it the last time it broke. I don't know how much of the broken bolt is sticking out from the frame into the radiator but not much I reckon maybe a mm. I'd had enough by this point so didn't take it back off to have a look. I have two questions though:

How safe is the radiator being held on just by the top right and bottom right bolts? A wise man once said two out of three aint bad but then he didn't have to deal with the potholes on my commute to work. The other two bolts are really tight and it doesn't move at all if I try to wiggle it a bit

Whats the best way of removing the broken bolt once I take the radiator back off? Bear in mind I have **** tools and it took me the best part of two days to do a two hour job.

Here's a picture of the radiator in case you didn't know what one looks like:

Last edited by slaked; 26-11-17 at 07:38 PM.