View Single Post
Old 13-08-22, 12:28 PM   #4
embee
Mega Poster

Default Re: Suspension & brakes

I have a 2001 SVS so the same model type.

The best bang for buck you could do is new fork springs to suit your weight and some appropriate oil for the spring rate. Personally I would always recommend going for linear rate springs, you know exactly what you've got. Buying "progressive" springs because someone somewhere said progressives are the way forward is fraught with difficulties, exactly what progressive rate have you got and where in the range are you using it? With linear you know what it is.
I use springs from K-tech
https://twsuspensiontech.co.uk/store...650-2000-16775

At your weight I'd suggest you'll need 9.0N/mm, possibly even more, but the stock springs are way too soft, somewhere round 7N/mm I believe.
I'd recommend Fuchs/Silkolene Maintain RSF fork oil, it has a good stability of viscosity with temperature (Viscosity Index VI). I'd suggest RSF 10W would do it, at least for a start, it's higher viscosity than many typical 10W oils from other makers.
I have 8.5N/mm springs and a mix of 7.5 and 10W RSF in mine and it's comfortable but not soft. I'm about 80kg/180 lbs.

Rear units I don't know about on the SV, but note that the end fittings are different for our type model than for later types so be cautious about recommendations from other bikes, they might not be the right pattern.