Thread: Dunkirk Spirit!
View Single Post
Old 26-07-07, 10:26 AM   #1
MiniMatt

Default Dunkirk Spirit!

The next reporter who waffles on about the "community pulling together" and "Dunkirk Spirit" is going to get swung for

Unless of course, "Dunkirk Spirit" is an increasingly fractious, stressed, rebellious and irate populace clammoring over dwindling water supplies while TA volunteers (doubtless recently completed their Iraq training - dealing with a hostile civvy population) struggle to maintain order.

Ironically it's not drinking water that's the huge problem - drinking requires only 3 or 4 litres per person per day. It's washing, cleaning, toilet flushing that's the problem. It's all the little steps, siphoning fetid swamp water out of the rain water butt (and by the way, rain water sucked through a hose pipe tastes horrible) into a steel jerry can, lumping that upstairs and spilling loads of it trying to fill up the cistern. Oh, and as I previously used the jerry can for oil changes, there's a thin oil film everywhere (and of course, no way of flushing it clean without water). And that's just to flush the toilet, now you need to find a clean water bottle to wash your hands. And brush your teeth. And just to do the dishes requires 3 or so litres, half boiled up, half cold, mix as best you can - the result is we just end up trying to re-use plates and eating food suitable for wipe clean dishes. Oh, and when you do wash up, remember to save the dish water to go in the toilet cistern. Haven't had a bath or shower or shave in four days now and feeling grotty and horrible

And because next door is old and doddery (and more than a little dementia addled) we're doing all this twice. But to prevent supplies depletion the TA won't let you collect water for a neighbour unless you cart said doddery old neighbour down in the car to prove she exists.

And Severn Trent Scum are saying another ten to fourteen days of this. I'm quite sure that if a third of a million people were without water in London this would have been sorted by now. There was a plan to run 22 miles of above ground temporary water main to connect supplies to another county, this was abandoned as "it would cause too much disruption".

AAAARGGGHHH! I smell. Bad. I want a bath