View Single Post
Old 16-09-22, 10:37 AM   #10800
Seeker
Mega Poster

Default Re: Gripe of the day - What is yours?

Quote:
Originally Posted by garynortheast View Post
Going through a bit of a black dog phase here. Head down and waiting for it to pass.
They can be difficult to shake off. When I was in training in the RAF I went through a couple of dark periods. It was like walking down a very narrow, dark canyon, the walls were getting steeper, you wanted to climb out but couldn't, nor could you turn around, all you could do was keep plodding on looking for the exit.

What helped me was putting on my favourite album on headphones, loud (but not painfully so) and let the music carry me away. I was (and still am) a Yes fan. "Tales from Topographic Oceans" (a double album) only had 4 tracks. 90 minutes of them singing about something (I have no idea what - nor does Rick Wakeman who played on the album).

The occasional understandable lyric (!) would pop out and stick with me:

"change we must as surely time does, changes call the course"

Another of their albums: Relayer, was loosely based on War and Peace (allegedly - Yes used to go big! "Tales" was based on Hindu scriptures).

There is a longish cacophonic build up which, I think, represents war followed by a track called "Soon" - a desperate soulful plea for peace).
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cGtjr-U5bT4

I love it when a musical instrument conveys so much feeling.

Anyway, I hope your black dog runs away quickly.