View Single Post
Old 19-08-21, 05:42 PM   #9942
admin
John T
Mega Poster

Default Re: Gripe of the day - What is yours?

Quote:
Originally Posted by embee View Post
I need glasses for distance, though as I get older my near vision limit is gradually getting further away. I used to be able to see very close up but not any more.

It is essential to talk through your requirements in detail with them when ordering, you need to understand a lot more than might first appear.

I went for a 2-for-1 setup with Speccysavers, and they did me some true varifocals covering the whole range (fine), but I also got some bifocals with distance and mid-range (rather than reading) which I described to them for riding the bike. The low bit is for arms length, where the bike clocks and satnav are.

I actually measured the distance when seated on the bike and gave them this when discussing it. For the bike they are absolutely perfect. Note that you also have to be very careful selecting the transition level. I actually marked the line on my old specs (on masking tape) where I wanted the transition, which corresponds to the top of the instruments. Everything above that is effectively single vision distance (i.e. all the road).

When using the bifocals I just look over the top for close up reading etc, which I can do quite happily without specs. The varifocals must start the progression from distance low enough down so that you don't end up having to tilt your head all the time.

My first vari's progression point were a touch too high and I couldn't see clearly where I was treading without tilting my head down, but I learnt and made sure the next pair were as I wanted. It does mean the vari part can end up quite narrow so a relatively tall lens works best I find.

When they sort out the transition point, you need to be standing and looking straight ahead, and decide at what distance on the floor you need to start departing from "infinity" (it's probably a lot closer than you think, typically only 2 or 3m at most).
I think I'll have to be more precise with my requirements in future.

Sent from my SM-T510 using Tapatalk