SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

Idle Banter For non SV and non bike related chat (and the odd bit of humour - but if any post isn't suitable it'll get deleted real quick).
There's also a "U" rating so please respect this. Newbies can also say "hello" here too.

Old 08-11-11, 12:53 PM   #1
grh1904

Default Going GREEK for a week.

Did anyone see this programme on Channel 4 last night.

Quite interesting and an insight into how the Greek economy has been going belly-up.

3 Brits were given financial advice by a Greek financial advisor, based upon how he would had they all been Greek living in Greece.

54 year old female hairdresser working part-time for (I think it was) £220.00 p/week. He advised that she should retire immediately becasue average retirement of retirement for a hairdresser in Greece is 53. Because it is a "hazardous" job she got an immediate pension of £217.00 p/week compared to the just over £100.00 p/week she would be entitled to over here.

Other example was a bus driver, married with a step-child. The financial advisor worked out that he could claim an extra £400.00+ per week. He was entitled to claim a bonus just for turning up at work!!!!, no seriously if he was due to drive at bus at a specific time & turned up a minute or so early to book it out, check his float etc (which he had to do) he could claim bonuses just for doing his job.

I won't say anymore incase you watch it on catch up/on demand or whatever it is.
Old 08-11-11, 04:39 PM   #2
andrewsmith
Mega Poster

Location: Newcastle upon Tyne, Just south of salad dodging country
Default Re: Going GREEK for a week.

If that IS the case in Greece, no wonder they're up the proverbial without a paddle.

Every year we meet old friends, gain some new ones, lose old ones and you always remember them all.
“Live as if you were to die tomorrow. Learn as if you were to live forever.” Mahatma Gandhi
andrewsmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-11, 04:47 PM   #3
Owenski

In fairness... we're not so far behind that ourselves.
Old 08-11-11, 07:39 PM   #4
andrewsmith
Mega Poster

Location: Newcastle upon Tyne, Just south of salad dodging country

What retire at 53 on £230p/w, a bonus for getting your erse into work on time and earn £35k as a bus driver. I'd be lucky if I'm on £35k at 50 as a senior Surveyor.

If your on about public sector pensions then your right *Grabs Tin Hat and Shovel*

If I'm lucky I maybe able (along with a good few of the org) at 75 with £200p/w

Every year we meet old friends, gain some new ones, lose old ones and you always remember them all.
“Live as if you were to die tomorrow. Learn as if you were to live forever.” Mahatma Gandhi
andrewsmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-11, 02:23 PM   #5
600+

Quote:
Originally Posted by grh1904 View Post
Did anyone see this programme on Channel 4 last night.

Quite interesting and an insight into how the Greek economy has been going belly-up.

3 Brits were given financial advice by a Greek financial advisor, based upon how he would had they all been Greek living in Greece.

54 year old female hairdresser working part-time for (I think it was) £220.00 p/week. He advised that she should retire immediately becasue average retirement of retirement for a hairdresser in Greece is 53. Because it is a "hazardous" job she got an immediate pension of £217.00 p/week compared to the just over £100.00 p/week she would be entitled to over here.

Other example was a bus driver, married with a step-child. The financial advisor worked out that he could claim an extra £400.00+ per week. He was entitled to claim a bonus just for turning up at work!!!!, no seriously if he was due to drive at bus at a specific time & turned up a minute or so early to book it out, check his float etc (which he had to do) he could claim bonuses just for doing his job.

I won't say anymore incase you watch it on catch up/on demand or whatever it is.
Fundamental error with this program was the comparison to the Greek financial system but with UK wages.

Now for the detail on what they showed;

54 year old hairdresser. Yes they can retire at 50 BUT they don't as they would only get 90% of €700 a month. In other words they would starve to death. If they do decide to retire and work from home without receipts and cash in hand then......well lets think of the 5 hairdressers we've had in my household here in the UK that all came, got paid, left and I never saw a receipt. Not that different to what happens here then.

Bus driver in Greece is a public servant and is paid €13k pa.....unlike the guy in Luton who is paid £25k pa. So again an unfair comparison. With regards to the bonus payments yes unfortunately this is true and this has been the public sector in Greece for decades.

Finally the orthopedics surgeon that was shown asked to be paid half in cash and for the remaining half he would give out a receipt. This has reduced greatly and the "fakelaki" (little money envelope) has disappeared as people are no longer happy to give those back handers, especially to doctors.

So in conclusion programs like that are the best to create a false perspective and create hate and racism for other countries, nations and people.

What Greece has been in need for years is a Marg Thatcher!!! Someone who will completely remove the Unions from the equation and shrink the public sector to the absolute minimum!!
Old 09-11-11, 02:50 PM   #6
Amadeus

I've just got back from Crete - had a lovely time.

We eat out every night (obviously) and a main course was 8 euros ~£5. So when you compare that to the wages you cited, it doesn't sound as if someone would starve to death.
I heard something on the radio (I think - might have been radio 4, but might have been BBC news website) and they were saying that it's usual/expected for public sector workers to not come into work at least one day a week - it's got so endemic, there is no attempt to sweeten it up.

I don't know how accurate this information is, but if it is true, I don't have a huge amount of sympathy, even tho it may be so endeminc people don't realise that they're doing something wrong (I work in a company where lots of people have been here for so long they have no idea how lucky they are).
The bottom line is that the country is living in a way that is unsustainable and something needs to happen - it can't go on. But then, the same applies here - people still have massive mortgages that they can't afford - it will only be sorted once the interest rates go up.
Old 09-11-11, 03:38 PM   #7
Biker Biggles
Mega Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by 600+ View Post
Fundamental error with this program was the comparison to the Greek financial system but with UK wages.

Now for the detail on what they showed;

54 year old hairdresser. Yes they can retire at 50 BUT they don't as they would only get 90% of €700 a month. In other words they would starve to death. If they do decide to retire and work from home without receipts and cash in hand then......well lets think of the 5 hairdressers we've had in my household here in the UK that all came, got paid, left and I never saw a receipt. Not that different to what happens here then.

Bus driver in Greece is a public servant and is paid €13k pa.....unlike the guy in Luton who is paid £25k pa. So again an unfair comparison. With regards to the bonus payments yes unfortunately this is true and this has been the public sector in Greece for decades.

Finally the orthopedics surgeon that was shown asked to be paid half in cash and for the remaining half he would give out a receipt. This has reduced greatly and the "fakelaki" (little money envelope) has disappeared as people are no longer happy to give those back handers, especially to doctors.

So in conclusion programs like that are the best to create a false perspective and create hate and racism for other countries, nations and people.

What Greece has been in need for years is a Marg Thatcher!!! Someone who will completely remove the Unions from the equation and shrink the public sector to the absolute minimum!!
Im glad someone who knows Greece like you has posted some reality and balance.We are plagued with carp journalism just out for the sensational story and the truth can just go and do one eh?I dont know Greece very well,not been there for a few years,but when I read the figures in the OP I just thought thats got to be bollux.Just like here,there will be a few people who manage to screw something outrageous from the system,but the huge majority will be struggling like the rest of us.Its just that the few p1ss takers make the best storylines for the agitators(I mean journalists)
Old 09-11-11, 03:51 PM   #8
daveyrach

Quote:
Originally Posted by 600+ View Post
I don't agree with this one iota, programs are not made to create hatred at all, that is rubbish, we get angry, but you can hardly hate the greeks for what their govt has put in place.
Old 09-11-11, 05:57 PM   #9
600+

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amadeus View Post
I've just got back from Crete - had a lovely time.

We eat out every night (obviously) and a main course was 8 euros ~£5. So when you compare that to the wages you cited, it doesn't sound as if someone would starve to death.
I heard something on the radio (I think - might have been radio 4, but might have been BBC news website) and they were saying that it's usual/expected for public sector workers to not come into work at least one day a week - it's got so endemic, there is no attempt to sweeten it up.

I don't know how accurate this information is, but if it is true, I don't have a huge amount of sympathy, even tho it may be so endeminc people don't realise that they're doing something wrong (I work in a company where lots of people have been here for so long they have no idea how lucky they are).
The bottom line is that the country is living in a way that is unsustainable and something needs to happen - it can't go on. But then, the same applies here - people still have massive mortgages that they can't afford - it will only be sorted once the interest rates go up.
So if you ate out for €8 a night then why don't you try go shopping in a supermarket for a weeks family food and you then let me know if you can survive on even €800 per month. And also don't forget to include your bills which are higher than here and petrol which is same price as here.

My mum has been visiting me for the past 12 years that I have been in the UK and every single time she comments how food shopping is cheaper than back home.
Old 09-11-11, 05:59 PM   #10
600+

Quote:
Originally Posted by daveyrach View Post
I don't agree with this one iota, programs are not made to create hatred at all, that is rubbish, we get angry, but you can hardly hate the greeks for what their govt has put in place.
Have you seen what the German population think about Greeks lately? We are apparently stealing their livelihood because "they" have to bail the country out!!

I take it you forgot the response of the English workers during the recession about "foreigners" that took their jobs and why didn't they "go back home".

When people are given the opportunity they are very quick to assign blame and in the Greeks case it is to the Greeks rather to a corrupt government and system!!