SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

Idle Banter For non SV and non bike related chat (and the odd bit of humour - but if any post isn't suitable it'll get deleted real quick).
There's also a "U" rating so please respect this. Newbies can also say "hello" here too.

Old 16-08-11, 09:08 PM   #1
krhall

Default Anyone know anything about dyslexia?

I was just watching a programme on telly about a girl that is dyslexic and she has some problems that I too have...
Old 16-08-11, 09:46 PM   #2
MisterTommyH

Default Re: Anyone know anything about dyslexia?

I think people often get letters and numbers the wrong way round (as in all the right characters, but not necessarily in the right order)?

Sometime happens to me. Don't let it affect me.
MisterTommyH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-08-11, 09:52 PM   #3
TSM
The Sick Man
Mega Poster

its such a pain

i see things that i am fairly sure are spelt right but looks toaly wrong and nothing i can do about it, somtimes spell things with the letters the wrong way around, somtimes look at sentences and they are just a jumble of words but then suddenly looks ok

loads of weird things

i saw a program that sorted some peoples reading dyslexia with coloured glasses
GONE: SV650S K2 Very Bruised & Without Fairing, Motovation Frame Sliders, R&G Ally Sprocket Toe Protector, HEL 2 Line Setup, GSXR K1 600 RWU Forks, Barnett Clutch & Springs, Penske 8981 Shock, Gilles Ti Rearsets, Steel Barends, Scottoiler, AFAM Chain & Sprockets, Twin FIAMM Horns, Skidmarx Bellypan, Full Micron Zeta Steel System, Cut down undertay.

Forum Problems & Information / Site Suggestions
TSM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-08-11, 09:53 PM   #4
dizzyblonde
Da Cake Boss
Mega Poster

Indeed. My brother used to get those things wrong way as a child. However, he used to get things like b's and d's, physically back to front.

He went for an exam last year for his job, to upgrade his post, not too sure what it was that was brought to light, but he ended up going for some other tests, as they found he wasn't just dyslexic but had some other thing too.
I know folk get flung in the dyslexic category, but the word is used as a broad spectrum for a whole bunch of others.
I'll find out what it is he has added to dyslexia. Not that it bothers him, hes got a degree to his name and a string of other mental health qualifications!

Hovis 13.8.75-3.10.09 Reeder 20.7.88-21.3.12
dizzyblonde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-08-11, 10:01 PM   #5
DarrenSV650S
Mega Poster

Sometimes when I'm sitting on the toilet the inside of my boxers look like they say TAMPON but it actually says NAMPOT
DarrenSV650S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-08-11, 10:07 PM   #6
Nobbylad
Mega Poster

My youngest son was diagnosed with a form of dyslexia. He went for quite an in depth testing session and there was loads of stuff that came out of it. Too much to go into on here but reading aids such as coloured vinyl strips, a bit like a coloured ruler, really helped him see words better/ more clearly.
Nobbylad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-08-11, 10:11 PM   #7
Ed

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarrenSV650S View Post
Sometimes when I'm sitting on the toilet the inside of my boxers look like they say TAMPON but it actually says NAMPOT
NAMPOT. My, you have a funny name.

Can't you see that this is a serious thread???????
Old 17-08-11, 12:33 AM   #8
Bibio
Mega Poster

yes i have comprehension dyslexia with word blindness for certain words. i cant spell simple words and without a spell checker i may as well be typing gibberish.

there are many forms of dyslexia with the most common being word blindness. a lot of the others go hand in hand.

i also have to use coloured gels and my colour is pink with black text, if i look at black text with a light blue background it looks to me as though i'm tripping as only one word pops off the page at a time while all the rest are spinning around.

white with black text (most common) makes the words float ever so slightly off the page but i can still read it but can't take whole sentence in at a time. when using my gel it makes the words flat on the page and i can read at about 4 times the speed and my brain processes it where without it my brain wont process it unless i read it over and over again.

i had an IQ test at the same time and it was 134.

i was stuck in the dunces class at school and ridiculed which in turn caused me to become rebellious and violent.

i can still remember when i got the results back from the test, it was like someone had lifted a weight off my shoulders. i genuinely thought that words floating from the page was normal as no one had ever actually asked why i was a slow reader.

just to add i only found out i was dyslexic about 7 years ago

Last edited by Bibio; 17-08-11 at 12:35 AM.
Bibio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-08-11, 07:47 AM   #9
Viney
Mega Poster

oN
Viney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-08-11, 09:43 AM   #10
krhall

I cannot read for toffee, they are just words on a page that make no real sense to me and as such I cannot take things in, I have always just assumed I was a lazy reader, so avoid any situation when I need to read.

...how do you get tested?

I have no intention of using it as an excuse, just would love to be better at reading, seriously I even struggle reading Mr.Men books correctly and following the stories, so when reading to the kids I just sound like a muppet.