SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

Idle Banter For non SV and non bike related chat (and the odd bit of humour - but if any post isn't suitable it'll get deleted real quick).
There's also a "U" rating so please respect this. Newbies can also say "hello" here too.

Old 30-12-08, 09:40 PM   #1
tanis34

Default health tests for drivers

about time hope they include an eye test then again who pays for it (another stealth tax ???)
http://latestnews.virginmedia.com/ne...r_health_tests
Old 30-12-08, 09:49 PM   #2
Baph

Default Re: health tests for drivers

Right then, these medical tests are optional. Fine.

I interpret that as "if you want to do the test, pay for it." OK, no real problem there. But also the article states that if you don't take the test, you face a criminal record if you're later found to be unfit to drive. What the... ?!?!

Devils' advocate time...
Lets assume that 20 years from now, my licence is renewed, and I opt not to take the test (being a tight a**e). Then 3 years later I have a stroke, which affects all motor control on the left side (so no manual gearbox and no clutch). During this time, I drive an automatic vehicle only. However, after another 2 years have passed, I have "fully" recovered use of my left side.

Now that I feel fine, and the DVLA never took my licence away as I could drive an automatic, I start driving manual gearbox cars again. 6 months down the line, some blind idiot pulls out on me at a junction.

During the ensuing medical tests, it's found that my reaction times are 5ms outside the established guidelines, and my stroke history has been declared. Therefore it's assumed I contributed to the accident by not being able to respond quick enough. I get a criminal record. Thanks!

Last edited by Baph; 30-12-08 at 09:51 PM.
Old 30-12-08, 11:36 PM   #3
embee
Mega Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baph View Post
Right then, ..............
Devils' advocate time...
Lets assume that 20 years from now, ...................................
.... I get a criminal record. Thanks!
not that old scenario again!

Seriously though, the government and it's departments seem to want to try anything other than get more traffic cops out there stopping BAD DRIVERS.

Listen Mr.Ladyboy or whatever your name is, get cops out there making people wear seat belts and stopping them using their mobiles and stop them driving like ****heads and we'll all be a lot better off, OK? Just do it.

Sorry, it was the bottle what made me .................
Old 01-01-09, 10:59 AM   #4
Biker Biggles
Mega Poster

Well said Embee
This health check stuff sounds good and makes good politics,but when you look at what causes road accidents,especially serious ones,its not poor health,its sh!t driving sh!t attitudes and arrogant knobs,most of whom are in perfect health.
Its populist nonsense,and diverts attention away from dealing with the real issues,which are far more complex and difficult for our great leaders.
Old 01-01-09, 11:27 AM   #5
Dicky Ticker

Having had major heart surgery I would like to point out that a follow-up system of health checks ensues,not just a temporary ban providing your GP has notified the DVLA,which is not necessarily done due to most GP's not knowing the legal implications. The system is shambolic at the moment due to this oversight and I often wonder how many people even bother to inform their insurance companies of medical conditions which is a principal criteria in insurance being granted.Possibly because they don't even know they may have a condition.
It took me 7 months to get my full license entitlement back and that was only granted after a comprehensive medical by the DVLA appointed examination board.
The system at the moment of self declaration signed by a doctor is open to falsification as it is never properly checked.
I have a major check ups every year , including sight tests and I think it would be no bad thing if this applied to everybody,not just for driving entitlement but the overall good of the NHS as early detection of ailments is easier remedied in most cases

Last edited by Dicky Ticker; 01-01-09 at 11:30 AM.