SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

Mini-Twins Goto Minitwins Official Site

Old 19-01-09, 11:01 PM   #1
yvo6

Default Disc an Pads

Hi.

Was wondering what was the best type/brand of discs and pads you have found for racing?

Cheers
Old 20-01-09, 12:57 AM   #2
Sideshow#36

Default Re: Disc an Pads

OE discs are pretty good to be honest. I have them on my wets and Galfers on my drys and to be honest there isnt much difference. As for pads, everone has their differing opinions. I have just switched to Bendix on a recomendation. However for 3/4 of last year I was using EBC which usually get slated, but I found them to be pretty good. I have also heard good things about Performance Friction.
Old 20-01-09, 08:39 AM   #3
flymo
Mega Poster

I use EBC disks and pads for dry weather wheels and I find them excellent, especially when hot. No fade at all.

For wets I use OEM discs, same pads.
flymo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-01-09, 10:26 AM   #4
yvo6

cheers lads.

I was told the Bendix pads were the biz and quoted £30 each but apparently they didnt do them for the sv - obviously they do! I was wanting to know if you thought the Galfer was worth the price or if the standard discs would be sufficient. I was running the EBC pads last year and they were ok - so just checking with those that know

I've changed from a carby to pointy race bike this year so i have plenty of other bits to buy yet and thats why i wanted to know if the extra price was justified.

x
Old 22-01-09, 11:28 PM   #5
scobysv

hows things Yvo, looking forward to racin n rubbin in the same class this yr.... roads n circuits.

I had/have Braking wavy's ebc pads.... brilliant, and stantard discs on the wets, Dont forget to fit a fork brace if you improve youre stopping power, stantard forks have been known to bend under severe braking..... as dumb ass here found out.

cheers
Old 23-01-09, 10:38 PM   #6
flymo
Mega Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by scobysv View Post
hows things Yvo, looking forward to racin n rubbin in the same class this yr.... roads n circuits.

I had/have Braking wavy's ebc pads.... brilliant, and stantard discs on the wets, Dont forget to fit a fork brace if you improve youre stopping power, stantard forks have been known to bend under severe braking..... as dumb ass here found out.

cheers
How exactly would a fork brace prevent forks from bending under braking? I can understand how a brace might stiffen up the forks from sideways flex but I dont see how it can provide any further strength to the stantions which is where I would expect to see flex under braking.

Also, I'm very surprised to see a set of SV forks actually bend under braking unless there has been previous damage to them that you maybe werent aware of.
flymo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-01-09, 10:45 PM   #7
Sideshow#36

Yes the SV fork are particularly soft but they wont bend just under braking. That is definately a sign of previous damage. However they do bend even in a slow off/impact.
Old 23-01-09, 10:47 PM   #8
zsv650

oe disc's on mine and ebc hh's never had a problem with em like em.
Old 23-01-09, 10:50 PM   #9
Sideshow#36

Quote:
Originally Posted by zsv650 View Post
oe disc's on mine and ebc hh's never had a problem with em like em.
What you race your road bike?
Old 23-01-09, 10:53 PM   #10
zsv650

hell no is this for a race bike bugger know's then but i probably would just leave them on yeah i'm lazy and they'd probably do for me unless i suddenly start to ride like barry sheene.