SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

Idle Banter For non SV and non bike related chat (and the odd bit of humour - but if any post isn't suitable it'll get deleted real quick).
There's also a "U" rating so please respect this. Newbies can also say "hello" here too.

Old 21-11-08, 09:53 AM   #1
stewie

Default xp vs vista

Just before I went away recently I decided to spring clean my pc, so uninstalled a few old programs that came bundled with it, anywhoo I managed to get rid of something that souldnt have gone so Ive run the system restore a few times and got the computer running normally again...except I cant get online for more than about a minute before I get a screen up saying 'internet explorer cant display this webpage', so I was thinking of reinstalling XP again to put it right but was wondering if Vista is actually as bad as peeps say and if not should I just upgrade to that instead. The system is a 3 yr old Dell with a pentium 4 processor and a gig of ram, waddya think ?
Old 21-11-08, 09:56 AM   #2
plowsie

Default Re: xp vs vista

Vista isn't as bad as people actually say. But you have to have the patience to work with it. The thing they have done is try and make Vista easy to use for noobs.

I've done the same and have had to re-install a program with the CD. Bloody annoying I tell you, especially when its my work computer and is quite an important program.
Old 21-11-08, 09:59 AM   #3
fizzwheel
Super Moderator
Mega Poster

We've been running Vista at home on Liz's laptop for a year or so now. Its been fine, no problems, no weirdness. Cant find any fault at all with it. But...

We only use it for browsing the web and, typing the odd document and uploading photos from our digital camera's

Chap at work has been running it on his desktop for a while again with no problems.

Both cases the underlying hardware is a decent spec with plenty of ram.. If your PC is low on CPU and ram then I'd stick with XP TBH.

K5 GSXR 750 Anniversary Edition
fizzwheel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-11-08, 10:00 AM   #4
startrek.steve

Quote:
Originally Posted by plowsie View Post
Vista isn't as bad as people actually say.
Lets see...
17 years working in IT, starting with Windows 3.0, OS2 servers, NetLM, Server 2003 & 2007, XP, NT4.0.....

YES IT IS!!!!
Big Fat Bloated & Slow,Slow,Slow!!!
the word bargepole springs to mind!!!
Old 21-11-08, 10:06 AM   #5
plowsie

Quote:
Originally Posted by startrek.steve View Post
Lets see...
17 years working in IT, starting with Windows 3.0, OS2 servers, NetLM, Server 2003 & 2007, XP, NT4.0.....

YES IT IS!!!!
Like i say, have the patience to work with it. It is slow, when you abuse it. Yeah okay so it goes slower quicker than other systems used to. Surely just upgrade your RAM? Its cheap nowadays. Or am i talking shyte?
Old 21-11-08, 10:17 AM   #6
the_lone_wolf
Captain Awesome
Mega Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by startrek.steve View Post
YES IT IS!!!!
the word "bandwagon" springs to mind...

Provided you have the hardware Vista is plenty fast enough, throw 4GB of RAM at it and it'll whiz around like it's on ice wearing ice cubes on it's feet.

However, on a computer with 1GB of RAM i'd stick with XP, not as resource intensive and that amount of RAM is just right for smooth XP use, although 2GB would be better...
(⌐■_■)
Deal with it...
the_lone_wolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-11-08, 10:25 AM   #7
stewie

Quote:
Originally Posted by fizzwheel View Post
We've been running Vista at home on Liz's laptop for a year or so now. Its been fine, no problems, no weirdness. Cant find any fault at all with it. But...

We only use it for browsing the web and, typing the odd document and uploading photos from our digital camera's

Chap at work has been running it on his desktop for a while again with no problems.

Both cases the underlying hardware is a decent spec with plenty of ram.. If your PC is low on CPU and ram then I'd stick with XP TBH.
tbh I would rather stick XP, problem is Dell didnt supply a disc with
the pc, so cant actually load it up from a disc, I may just keep using the kids laptop in the short term.Ta guys.
Old 21-11-08, 10:26 AM   #8
Kinvig

I find it to be too slow to boot up - I've got a Dual Core Processor & 2 gig Ram & it takes just shy of 5 mins to boot up.

The biggest pain I find with Vista is that I'm using a laptop with a touch pad (instead of a mouse). I would like to disable the touchpad because I keep touching it with the palm of my hand & it make the cursor move to some random part of the screen.

I've been all over the control panel & have yet to find a disable touch pad in Vista button.....so here I am with a bit of cardboard carefully cut out of some special k packaging.....
Old 21-11-08, 10:30 AM   #9
stewie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kinvig View Post
I find it to be too slow to boot up - I've got a Dual Core Processor & 2 gig Ram & it takes just shy of 5 mins to boot up.

The biggest pain I find with Vista is that I'm using a laptop with a touch pad (instead of a mouse). I would like to disable the touchpad because I keep touching it with the palm of my hand & it make the cursor move to some random part of the screen.

I've been all over the control panel & have yet to find a disable touch pad in Vista button.....so here I am with a bit of cardboard carefully cut out of some special k packaging.....
Ha ! thats happening to me all the time on the kids laptop, its driving me mad .
Old 21-11-08, 10:33 AM   #10
SoulKiss
Mega Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by stewie View Post
Just before I went away recently I decided to spring clean my pc, so uninstalled a few old programs that came bundled with it, anywhoo I managed to get rid of something that souldnt have gone so Ive run the system restore a few times and got the computer running normally again...except I cant get online for more than about a minute before I get a screen up saying 'internet explorer cant display this webpage', so I was thinking of reinstalling XP again to put it right but was wondering if Vista is actually as bad as peeps say and if not should I just upgrade to that instead. The system is a 3 yr old Dell with a pentium 4 processor and a gig of ram, waddya think ?
Stop using Internet Explorer and install Firefox?

Also you SHOULD be able to create a recovery disk from tools supplied by Dell if they didnt supply media.

Or you could contact Dell and ask for the OS installation media - I believe they are obliged to provide this if requested at a reasonable cost.

█╬╬╬╬(•)iŻi▀▀▀▀▀█Ξ███████████████████████████████)
SoulKiss is offline   Reply With Quote