SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

SV Talk, Tuning & Tweaking Discussion and chat on all topics and technical stuff related to the SV650 and SV1000
Need Help: Try Searching before posting

Old 05-12-05, 12:25 AM   #1
g_conaty

Default Minimum Level Of Insurance For New Bike

Hello

Im about to collect a brand new bike next week and am looking at getting it insured third party only for the meantime. This is due to a number of reasons. My question is, will a dealer accept third party only for a new bike and also if i do get third party only can i upgrade to third party fire and theft after a few months?
Old 05-12-05, 01:11 AM   #2
amarko5

Default Re: Minimum Level Of Insurance For New Bike

Quote:
Originally Posted by g_conaty
Hello

Im about to collect a brand new bike next week and am looking at getting it insured third party only for the meantime. This is due to a number of reasons. My question is, will a dealer accept third party only for a new bike and also if i do get third party only can i upgrade to third party fire and theft after a few months?
a new bike and it being winter i would seriously consider the fully comp route..

if your getting it on finance some dealers insist on fully comp.

have you tried the net for insurance prices ? there are good brokers out there one i find cheap is ebike insurance www.ebikeinsurance.co.uk and possibly try the ones listed here as well
http://www.reviewcentre.com/products1910.html
Old 05-12-05, 02:43 AM   #3
northwind
Mega Poster

You don't want to insure it 3rd party only unless it lives in an underground bunker... I'm sure you have your reasons, but they'd have to be very, very good reasons.

I'm not really a new bike type of guy, but if I was, I'd insure it comp.
But we're oh so easily swayed"
northwind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-05, 06:17 AM   #4
Red ones
Mega Poster

I have a funny feeling some of the insurance companies won't do 3rd party for a value above £4,000 (but I'm not sure about that)
Red ones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-05, 07:18 AM   #5
TC3

New bike on third party is just not worth the risk in my opinion
Old 05-12-05, 07:35 AM   #6
busasean

dont do it! i had a 10 week old zxr400 totalled by a stolen car. i'd insured it 3rd party only!!!! expensive lesson i can tell you!
Old 05-12-05, 12:03 PM   #7
coombest

I insured my new SV Third Part ire & Theft...

I couldn't afford fully comp (it was £850 TPFT!) and even if I had, I'd nevr be able to afford to insure another bike if I claimed on it in my first year!

At least, that's the way I saw it!

I am still not fully comp on my Daytona and still wouldn't want to pay out that much money for insurance, when I feel that I'm not likely to need to use the extra cover provided by FC... That is unless, as Sean said - I get knocked off by someone in a stolen or uninsured car!

A point to note with TPO insurance is that it will generally cost more than TPFT insurance... Make sure you get a quote for all three options and weigh up the cost/benifits of each.

As for 'upgrading' to TPFT a few months down the line - it'll be down to the broker and the underwriter if they'll do it. I suspect it'd be a case of cancelling the TPO insurace and claiming back the money owed (after the administration fees this won't be a lot!) and then taking out a new, TPFT policy! Speak it through with a few insurers and see what they say.

I use Premium Choice and have been nothing but impressed with them. They're very helpful and brutally honest when you speak to any of them... They were also the cheapest after they knocked off some extra!
Old 05-12-05, 12:07 PM   #8
diamond

If your bike has is being bought using finance then you will need fully comp, that was the case when i got my K5 on the 1p down deal. I found that to insure my K5 fully comp was the same as to insure my curvy TPFT, go figure.
Old 05-12-05, 12:15 PM   #9
Tigerrrr.......

Just a point.....

There's no such thing as "fully" comp.

You're either comp or you're not.
Old 05-12-05, 12:20 PM   #10
diamond

Just a turn of phrase, get a life