SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

Bikes - Talk & Issues Newsworthy and topical general biking and bike related issues. No crapola!
Need Help: Try Searching before posting

Old 03-07-07, 02:43 PM   #1
New Leaf

Default Stolen Bolts.

Some nasty person has stolen two of the bolts that hold my givi rack on. (yeah i know - he probably done me a favour - as top boxes are naff etc!)

Anyway, i now need some replacement bolts. I know they were M8, but i'm not sure how long they were and i think they had a bit of a shoulder on them with no thread.

Thing is i've never bought a bolt before - as i've never had a bike or anything else to take to bits till now, so i was thinking of buying a set of stainless bolts that might come in handy when tinkering with the bike in future.

Can anyone recommend which sizes i should get?

I saw this on ebay...http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/STAINLESS-ALLE...QQcmdZViewItem

Would that be a decent start to my bolt collection?
Old 03-07-07, 02:49 PM   #2
Razor

Default Re: Stolen Bolts.

If you have no bolts then that pack looks like a good way to start getting some together.

When they arrive try the M8x30 and see if it's long enough. Were the originals cap head or countersunk?
Old 03-07-07, 02:58 PM   #3
New Leaf

Quote:
Originally Posted by Razor View Post
Were the originals cap head or countersunk?
Erm they were cap head i think. As far as i can remember they looked pretty much like this ... except the thread didn't go all the way to the cap.

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/M5-X-8-STAINLE...QQcmdZViewItem

Old 04-07-07, 02:28 AM   #4
Warren

a word of warning, in my experience stainless bolts will round off much easier than normal bolts (alloy i believe)

try B and Q, they seem to have many bolts, in many shapes and sizes, for only a couple of pence,
there oviously not as weather resistant compared to stainless steel, but there miles better than the standard suzuki ones,
dont use any old bolt to mount brake discs or pads ect ect, as they are made from a high tensile material. not just your normal bolt.
Old 04-07-07, 09:08 AM   #5
Warthog

Try www.stagonset.co.uk
I know the bloke that runs it, he is really nice, will help you out, there is no minimum order and its all online. He is a biker himself and so knows a lot about bikes.