SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

SV Talk, Tuning & Tweaking Discussion and chat on all topics and technical stuff related to the SV650 and SV1000
Need Help: Try Searching before posting

Old 08-10-08, 02:45 PM   #1
Dr T

Default Winter use! Rust?

I'm in two minds on whether to use my sv650s over the winter months or tuck it up in the garage. Traffic to work is a nightmare on four wheels.

I'd just like to know if other folk have used theirs over the winter and advice on keeping them from rusting. I don't mind washing the salt off but where are the comman places for rust??

Bear in mind I live in Scotland so the conditions are a wee bit worse up here. Ie salt on the roads all the time.
Old 08-10-08, 02:49 PM   #2
fizzwheel
Super Moderator
Mega Poster

Default Re: Winter use! Rust?

I used mine, it rusted. My girlfriend uses hers alot through the winter it rusted.

Its going to rust no matter what you do but you can reduce the effects of salt, have a look on the t'internet for two products

ACF-50
Scottoil FS365

Both are corrosion inhibitors but the ACF-50 is IMHO superior as you dont need to keep re-applying it after every wash.

K5 GSXR 750 Anniversary Edition
fizzwheel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-08, 02:49 PM   #3
riktherider

i use mine 24/7, all year every year.
main places to watch out for are lower forks, front cylinder hear downpipes, calipers, rims, shock, subframe, most bolts.....i think you see where i am going! just keep all the salt off, and you should be ok. you can get some spray on stuff i think which prevents a lot of this, buit to be honest, elbow grease works best. i've painted the forks and they have never had any corrosion since, the engine casing suffers, but i need that powder coated really.
Old 08-10-08, 02:50 PM   #4
JimmyGulp

I've used my sv650s (curvy) for the last couple of years over the winter, and its coped admirably

I'd just ensure that you give it a spray down every now and again to wash the salt off (something I should do more often), and keep an eye on the chain (don't forget to lube it)

Oh yeah, and some good thermal / winter riding gear for yourself, it can get nippy out there in the freezing depths of winter
Old 08-10-08, 02:52 PM   #5
Grinch

Using a protection spray helps a lot, I use Scottoilers FS365, it help stop the winter corrosion. There is another one you can get that comes from the aircraft industry but I can't remember the name.
Old 08-10-08, 03:52 PM   #6
AndyBrad

bloody good question this. The aircraft stuff is the ac50.

Howver im also worried as im leaving my bike outside. And posably using it through most, if not all of the winter. I also dont have a hosepipe and cleaning is a bit of a nightmare.

i can see the advantage to painting the lower forks but im thinking as mine alraedy have some corrosion its best left till summer. Any corosion is only going to be superficial though on those im guessing?

One question is the engine casing. Any tips on painting this up? and protecting it? Is it an easy job to get a good finish as mines gine quite flaky.
Old 08-10-08, 04:36 PM   #7
Dangerous Dave

I use the SV's in every weather. I also use ACF-50 on them both, it beats every other product on the market.
Old 08-10-08, 04:44 PM   #8
fastdruid
Mega Poster

I used castrol chain wax once, works quite well on exposed bolts and the like but looks really terrible.

I actually found that the worst thing is that the sh*te on the roads tends to blast the paint at the front of the engine. Although IMO they look like crap (and I never had problems with it cutting out in the wet) I'd put a fender extender on if I was to do it again on the SV just to try and cut down on the damage.

That said it's not that bad, three years worth of all year use and ~27k

Druid
Old 08-10-08, 06:14 PM   #9
steveg

My approach clean before winter October / November , cover in ACF50 leave , let filth build up , clean after winter April /May

Only fork lowers are slighly tarnished , rest ok

Cheers Steve

Now Triumph sprint 1050 ABS 05 Reg

AKA Papa Smurf
steveg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-08, 07:18 PM   #10
Phaelok

Just covered mine in ACF-50 for the first time

Got worried though as i brushed down the exhaust and cleaned my bike etc, sprayed on the stuff and 10 seconds later was engulfed in a cloud of white smoke!

I suppose it was the ACF burning off somewhat. I didnt get all my cleaning done as the dark got the better of me, but will be spraying it all over my bike...

Does it work ok on plastics btw?

Sprayed it on my forks, which have some salt corrosion on them, will it stop salt corrosion / eliminate salt currently on there? It ok to spray on already corroded things?