SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

Bikes - Talk & Issues Newsworthy and topical general biking and bike related issues. No crapola!
Need Help: Try Searching before posting

Old 22-08-14, 04:51 PM   #1
gedcarney

Default Back wheel spindle stuck.

Hello my back wheel spindle has stuck and will not slide out. The bike had sat after going through a heavy winter. And it seems the bearing has stuck to the spindle. Had a big hammer on it but it is moving the swing arm with it. Have had a power tool on the right handside nut. The nut spins the spindle but will not spin it out, just keeps spinning. Any advice please wellcome.
Ged
Old 22-08-14, 05:41 PM   #2
rictus01
Mega Poster

Default Re: Back wheel spindle stuck.

put the bike between two gate posts/ walls etc, and use a hydraulic bottle jack.
Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming, 'Wow! What a Ride!
rictus01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-08-14, 09:09 PM   #3
Jayneflakes
Mega Poster

Lots of pentrating oil and a big hammer. It will give in the end and then you can repair it. If it is that stuck already, how damaged is the bearing and how easy is it to repair once free? Face it, you are going to have to buy a bearing anyway and maybe a spindle if that is already damaged from the hammering. If you can get a hydraulic press or jack on it, the force will break the rust, but it will also require some repair work after.

Good luck and when it comes to reassembly, puts lots of copper slip on the spindle to stop this happening again.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Littlepeahead View Post
Jayne you're a Pussy Magnet
My bar swap and custom suspension

Buy my latest novel and help fund my addiction to strippers and Lego.
Jayneflakes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-08-14, 02:46 PM   #4
gedcarney

Are saying brace the swing arm with a block off wood against a post then hit it?
Old 23-08-14, 06:14 PM   #5
SIII
Mega Poster

Don't put copper slip on spindle, put grease on the spindle. Copper slip is not good for bearings, which there are a couple in there.
Old 23-08-14, 07:12 PM   #6
Sid Squid
No, I don't lend tools.
Mega Poster

Default Back wheel spindle stuck.

I've been presented with this problem a few times, be careful just whacking it, I've seen a couple of wheel hubs get damaged that way. If it really is rusted solid then you'll need to cut the spindle to remove it, where possible cut through the spacers, they're the cheapest parts to replace, then with the wheel removed ascertain which bearing it's stuck in and drift the remains of the spindle and bearing out of the wheel in the normal way.
Don't use copper grease - if it gets into the new bearings they'll be destroyed in no time.
If an SV650 has a flat tyre in the forest and no-one is there to blow it up, how long will it be 'til someone posts that the reg/rec is duff and the world will end unless a CBR unit is fitted? A little bit of knowledge = a dangerous thing.

"a deathless anthem of nuclear-strength romantic angst"
Sid Squid is offline   Reply With Quote