SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

Idle Banter For non SV and non bike related chat (and the odd bit of humour - but if any post isn't suitable it'll get deleted real quick).
There's also a "U" rating so please respect this. Newbies can also say "hello" here too.

Old 24-03-13, 01:24 PM   #1
Brettus

Default OMO: Amuse me (and a colleague) in London

I've been to London a few times so know the general things (or THINK I do), I've been booked on a course which will see me staying in central London for two separate weeks (8th April and 13th May)

I'm looking for suggestions of things to do/see (most of the museums are closed ) and places to eat.

Unfortunately my eating habits are a bit.... simple. I'm looking for recommendations on good chip shops, pancake houses or places that serve jacket potatoes. (or just good pubs that serve chips, I'd usually gravitate towards o'neills for example but I'm open to suggestions)

For things to see and do, we are both geeks so I've got Forbidden Planet on the list, Cybercandy for foreign junk food (that's a GOOD thing BTW) We might be able to make the science museum as they are open till 19:00 I think, any other geeky/interesting suggestions? Least cost preferred as I can't expense admission charges

I've got quite a list of photography locations I'd like to get to and I'm making sure work buy us travel cards so we can abuse the underground network to get to them all. Any suggestions of "photography paths less travelled" so to speak would be greatly appreciated. I'm all for taking my own pictures of familiar and well known landmarks but I'd like to be able to take some more unique ones too if possible.

While I'm at it, any places I should avoid given that I'm likely to have a fair amount of kit on me? (Thankfully my grooming habits (or lack thereof) mean I look like I represent a certain demographic, ergo: I look like a mugger rather than a mugEE)

Over to you, Org. Any and all suggestions appreciated!
K6 SV650S Sport: GSXR 1000 front end, Penske shock, F.Fabbri DB clear screen, colour matched hugger, Corbin riders seat, Evotech tail tidy, Akrapovic full system, Twin 55w HID lights, Givi rack and..... the biggest top box known to man
Quote:
"Well I've met God and he had nothing to say to me"
Brettus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-03-13, 01:31 PM   #2
EssexDave

Default Re: OMO: Amuse me (and a colleague) in London

6-7th April Brands Hatch 1st round of the BSB - not far from central London

Get there the weekend before
Old 24-03-13, 03:55 PM   #3
Sir Trev
Mega Poster

Depends on what you want to take pics of. I have a soft spot for Victorian architecture so whenever I head into London I seek out that sort of thing, of which there is loads. Wren's churches are interesting and you can always search out cabman's shelters for something different http://www.urban75.org/london/cabmans-shelters.html. 7 Dials is an interesting place, with several options for odd perspectives (watch out for nutter drivers!).

Look up is something I'd recommend. Like a lot of old towns the eye level is often modern and generic. Upper stories may have interesting reliefs, statuary or pinacles to snap.

When you're in the tube look out for some of the original features. Some of the stations have some wonderful decoration and ironwork. The facades can be pure Vicoriana too. Good options for dark and moody down there too, depending on how busy it is.
Old 25-03-13, 08:28 AM   #4
Sid Squid
No, I don't lend tools.
Mega Poster

See if Sir John Soane's Museum is open.

http://www.soane.org/

Pub wise you're coming to the best place in the country, there's no shortage of terrible pubs wherever in the world you go, but in London you're spoiled for choice of fantastic pubs, where in town are you staying?
If an SV650 has a flat tyre in the forest and no-one is there to blow it up, how long will it be 'til someone posts that the reg/rec is duff and the world will end unless a CBR unit is fitted? A little bit of knowledge = a dangerous thing.

"a deathless anthem of nuclear-strength romantic angst"
Sid Squid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-03-13, 12:58 PM   #5
Littlepeahead
Mega Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sir Trev View Post
When you're in the tube look out for some of the original features. Some of the stations have some wonderful decoration and ironwork. The facades can be pure Vicoriana too. Good options for dark and moody down there too, depending on how busy it is.
Be aware that you need a permit to to photograph anywhere on the London Underground network or within the mainline stations. It costs £50. They will stop you if they see you and the CCTV will pick you up everywhere.

Also be careful along the South Bank near the London Eye as it is private property and they have crews of heavy handed security guards who will be on the lookout for anyone taking photos.
Old 25-03-13, 01:20 PM   #6
SvNewbie

While that seems harsh, it's probably better than having crowds of tourists taking yet another photo of their friend in-front of the station signs.
Old 25-03-13, 02:43 PM   #7
Sir Trev
Mega Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Littlepeahead View Post
Be aware that you need a permit to to photograph anywhere on the London Underground network or within the mainline stations. It costs £50. They will stop you if they see you and the CCTV will pick you up everywhere.

Did not know that. I got some nice pics of the clock and statues in St Pancras a few weeks ago and was not challenged. Will not push my luck though in future!

Seems a bit silly to me. They even have tours of some of the stations but they don't want you taking free pics - I know the station refurbs can cost millions but getting it back by stealth taxes on architecture fans is a bit sneaky!!