SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

Bikes - Talk & Issues Newsworthy and topical general biking and bike related issues. No crapola!
Need Help: Try Searching before posting

Old 20-08-22, 01:14 PM   #1
Seeker
Mega Poster

Default Bmw r1800

Rode out to the Bomber Command Memorial in Lincoln (for carrot cake) and chatted to a couple of BMW owners. First was the owner of a 1600 6 cylinder who'd just come back from touring the Alps which, he said, the bike was perfect for, but he mentioned that parking on gravel was always a worry because of its weight. He didn't know what that was so I checked - the GT is 700lbs wet. I don't think I'd want that worry.

The next owner had an R1800 and he demonstrated how much it rocks on start up (it has a sport drive mode called "rock 'n roll"), he also demonstrated its reverse gear!

It looked beautifully finished but I still don't like the exhaust shape nor the giant seam on them.

My friend and I had only just had a discussion about BMWs. It took me many years to realise that the cylinders don't face each other - ie one is ahead of the other when looking down. My friend hadn't realised either so it was great having the R1800 there to demonstrate that fact.
Old 21-08-22, 07:27 AM   #2
Craig380
Mega Poster

Default Re: Bmw r1800

The R1800s do look better in the metal than in pics, but the silencers are an absolute botch job.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seeker View Post
My friend and I had only just had a discussion about BMWs. It took me many years to realise that the cylinders don't face each other - ie one is ahead of the other when looking down.
Same with Guzzi V-twins, the left cylinder is closer to the rider because the conrods sit side-by-side.
Craig380 is offline   Reply With Quote